Am I paying too much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I've just had a quote from a reputable company to replace the soffit, facia, guttering and the bit that takes the water from the tiles into the guttering plus a double glazed front door for 2K (1100 roof/900 door).

I think I'd be happy with the job but it seems a bit steep or am I just being tight fisted?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
That really depends on the size of your house now doesn't it!!

DOH!!

Sorry, the house is 5 meters wide and the price is for front & back (mid terrace so no sides and no downpipes as our 3 house block shares).

Well the "reputable" companies can be a bit on the steep side (initially). Get some more quotes, but remember this, this market is absolutely cut throat at the minute, so you should be able to sqeeze a very very good deal, best of luck.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Eddie,

I've agreed the price already (I would have cancelled if it was too much), I've tried to get other quotes, one said £500 for roof bits only but he said he would just cover facias (no thank you), one said £600 but when I asked how he would get round the conservatory he said he would put ladders on top :eek: (again thanks but no thanks) and the other 2 or 3 didn't bother to show!!.

I'm kind of happy to pay a bit extra to a good company unless they're blatantly ripping me off?

My M8 lives in a semi....next door had their roofline done in plastic.cheap...M8 went with a national Co. You can see the difference, from the road :eek: That should put your mind@ rest ;)

Thanks Nige,

I don't really mind paying for something, I just really :mad: HATE :mad: paying too much, lining someone elses pocket with my hard earned cash.

As nobody's replied in astonishment at the price, I guess it's reasonable.

Thanks again guys.

We are in the same boat and an old lady 2 doors up was having hers replaced on monday.
we got them round for a quote.

3 bed semi (5m wide) front, rear and gable end £960
2m by 2m extension cloak room/porch £400
Single semi detatched garage (joined side by side with next doors garage £460

Thats for soffits, facias, guttering and down pipes

I am far from tight fisted (just ask the better half) but I refuse to pay that much lol
My dad also wants his 3 bed semi doing, so we are going to peninsula to buy all the materials and am going to hire a scissor lift from HSS for £250 a week and get both properties done.

I am a keen diy'er (understatement) and am renovating my 1st house with the mrs.
Already replaced the kitchen, bathroom, cloakroom and have just bought a P-Shaped conservatory which I will be building and installing myself.

Hopefully the guttering and all will not be too tricky.

I reckon buying trade materials or buying off of ebay including hireing the scissor lift....It will come in under £1k for 2 houses, a garage and my porch.

Where are you located? maybe we could do all 3 between us in a week :LOL:

DIYIdoit said:
Hello All,

I've just had a quote from a reputable company to replace the soffit, facia, guttering and the bit that takes the water from the tiles into the guttering plus a double glazed front door for 2K (1100 roof/900 door).

I think I'd be happy with the job but it seems a bit steep or am I just being tight fisted?

Cheers.

Hi, yes we would charge about that although the door would probably sell for £750 to 800.

Anyway you are not being ripped off put it that way.

Hope you are happy with the finished job :D

smokey said:
My dad also wants his 3 bed semi doing, so we are going to peninsula to buy all the materials and am going to hire a scissor lift from HSS for £250 a week and get both properties done.

have just bought a P-Shaped conservatory which I will be building and installing myself.

Hopefully the guttering and all will not be too tricky.

l:
How can you get guttering to go around a green round object :?: Bad enought doing an oast house down here ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back