AMD dual Core - Temperatures

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That is on the hot side.

Have you cleaned any fan filters, and the heatsink?

Maximum operating temperature for this proccessor is 73°C. If your close to this temp, check and clean your fan & heatsink (It's scary what they collect) If your using a standard cooler, change it for a better one.

I recently fitted the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, to my father-in-laws PC as the standard on was pap. £20 off a popular auction site. There are better and more costly ones too.

Also the airflow through the PC should be checked. IE: In one side - out the other.

Most AMD have a Max Operating Temp of 90-100 degrees celsius, hell even the Duron had that range.

But yes for longevity you want to bring the temperature down as much as possible.

Most AMD have a Max Operating Temp of 90-100 degrees celsius, hell even the Duron had that range.

But yes for longevity you want to bring the temperature down as much as possible.

What 'most' AMD chips have is of no import. The CPU specified has a maximum operating temperature of 73°C.

Didnt see it was a X2 S-AM2 ;)

Done worse, my X2 overclocks were consistently over 73 degrees as it was a cheap enough processor to not worry if you reduced its life by a few years, bet youve done the same :)

Quite a low max temp for a processor really, given that you'd be expected to push that type of processor with video decoding etc and in an average summer temperature of 23-27 degrees with stock fans it would be pushing the limits.

Done worse, my X2 overclocks were consistently over 73 degrees as it was a cheap enough processor to not worry if you reduced its life by a few years, bet youve done the same :)

No, I haven't. I like my CPUs to work properly, not throw random errors because I'm being cheap.

Its called cost versus acceptable risk assessment, you can exceed the recommended max operating temperature on cpu by some margin. Its what you do with the heat once its outside the core and is inside your enclosure that counts. You can remove heat from the core and reduce the core by x degrees but it does no good if you just then recirculate the hot air within the case. As for throwing errors, as a software developer I dont see many of my programs crashing due to heat issues. Poor power supply, cheap crappy RAM yes, but a hot cpu very rarely trashes over memory space or gives incorrect operations.

So you've never pushed the boundaries of an acceptable "quoted" range when trying to eek out as much as possible? Guess that just my bad side after having to spend day in /day out creating "manufacturer perfect" conditions :/

I think we are polar opposites and there is probably some guy in the middle (probably very boring though).

So you've never pushed the boundaries of an acceptable "quoted" range when trying to eek out as much as possible?

Why would I? Is running 5% faster worth a 50% greater chance of an error?

I think we are polar opposites

You're a programmer, I'm a sysadmin. One of us has to fix mistakes the other makes. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back