American light switch, compatible with UK wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have my eye on these vintage American push-button light switches

The push-button component looks like this: http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/single-pole-switch

(the plate itself: http://preview.tinyurl.com/k6qe6ft )

Electricals aren't really my thing, but I gather that in the UK we use 240 volt and US is 120 volt.

My question is, is there any way I can use these light switches? Even if it's just the plates, are there any UK push-button switches out there?

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Minor update, on a listing for the original push-button light switch apparently they're marked with: *Rating stamped in the top 10A 125v, 5A 250V. Also marked Und. lab. inc. insp.

Could you tell em what this means?

Minor update, on a listing for the original push-button light switch apparently they're marked with: *Rating stamped in the top 10A 125v, 5A 250V. Also marked Und. lab. inc. insp.

Could you tell em what this means?

10 amp at 125 volts
5 amp at 250 volts
Underwriters Laboratories Inc. Inspected.

The switches won't be to British standards, and note you will need a US style back box to fit them to. It is possible that they will not have a satisfactory means of earthing, either.

Why not fit some British vintage or vintage stylee switches instead?

Thanks for your speedy reply!

The back boxes won't be that much bother to get, abs if they could be satisfactorily earthed, will they work in theory?

(I have been looking at light switches for ages, and these are by far the nicest of any that I've seen!)

Sponsored Links
They'll work; a switch is a switch, except that note what we call two-way switch is called a 3-way switch in American (because it's got 3 terminals).

If you really want to use them I would use them with extra low voltage switching a relay rather than directly on mains.

Thanks for all your replies, you've been a great help.

Can you link me to a thread/website that can explain the relay thing? Just is I have a low voltage option.

If you really want to use them I would use them with extra low voltage switching a relay rather than directly on mains.

Why?

They are rated at 250 volts.

I'm guessing it has to do with legalaties and safety and the switch not being BS/EU/whatever approved for use on the mains in the UK, wheras if you used a BS/EU/whatever approved relay to handle the mains and the switch is just to trigger the relay, you seperate the non-approved bit from the system and stay legal/safe.

Sponsored Links
Back