Amps rating of switches

Sponsored Links
What was at the back of my mind was that if isolator switches, say a 20A, have say a 100% overload for the contacts for a certain time before problems arise.
They might. There will certainly be some 'margin', since no-one would serious believe that a switch 'rated' at 20A would 'blow up' at 20.01A. However, since it's not part of the spec, we can only guess at how far one can exceed the rating without potentially incurring problems.
I know all contacts in isolators can take more than what is stamped on the back.
As above, there obviously must be 'margins', but we can usually only guess what they might be.

Kind Regards, John

Even the best quality, best installed 20amp dp switches can very often burn out on their intended uses, ie storage heaters and immersions - so I would recommend upgrading the switch anyway.

When these things do burn out, often the wiring will start to char at the switch, even if the connections were tight, so it may help to avoid this.

Is all this worry over nothing? My Bosch induction hobs came with a 13amp plug attached to them. They cannot all be set to full power at the same time, it just won't do it.

Sponsored Links
Phatboy, are you sure? I have never seen a hob come with a 13A plug attached.
EDIT:
You are right, some do:
Bosch PUE611BF1B 60cm 13A Plug In Induction Hob Black
  • 4 Zones
  • Touch Controls
  • Child Lock
  • Residual Heat Indicator
  • 17 Stage Power Setting
  • Timer
  • 13 amp Plug-in Connection
  • (H)51 x (W)592 x (D)522mm
  • Sold as an Agent of Euronics Ltd.
  • Guarantee - 2 Years Parts and Labour
https://www.appliancedirectmorecamb...BF1B_60cm-13a-plug-in-induction-hob-black.htm

From the manual of a Bosch induction Hob:
Power manager

You can use the power manager function to set the total power of the hob. The hob settings are preconfigured at the factory. Its maximum performance is specified on the rating plate. You can use the power manager function to change the value to meet the requirements of the specific electrical installation. In order not to exceed this set value, the hob automatically distributes the power available according to need between the cooking zones that are switched on. While the power manager function is activated, the output of a cooking zone may temporarily fall below the nominal value. If a cooking zone is switched on and the power limit is reached, appears in the power level display for a short time. The appliance automatically regulates and selects the highest possible power level

Power management function. Limiting the total power of the hob. The available settings depend on the maximum power of the hob.

0. Deactivated. Maximum power of the hob. */** ‚
1. 1000 W minimum power.
1. 1500 W
3. 3000 W recommended for 13 A.
3. 3500 W recommended for 16 A.
4. 4000 W
4. 4500 W recommended for 20 A.
9 or 9. Maximum power of the hob.**

It says it comes preconfigured at the factory, so I would assume set to 13A (3,000 W). I am not sure if all Bosch hobs come with a 13A plug. I will have to find out the model, which is about 5 years old. So, the installer may have been within limits in installing a 20A switch.

Last edited:
best installed 20amp dp switches can very often burn out on their intended uses,

There are two type of contact operation, wiping and non wiping.

Wiping action contacts move relative to each other after the first contact is made and this movement effectively wipes the contacts of any debris caused by arcing.

In general wiping action contacts last far longer than non wiping contacts when switching under load.

I'm in the process or purchasing one.

It says 32A circuit required.
But also says it can be used on 10A and 16A circuits. (for europe I guess). I would love to know how you invoke this. There are links where the power is connected, so maybe you remove the links.

I would imagine when on half power, it time multiplexes the cooking zones.
I guess it won't allow you to set them all to max, and forces the user to choose lower settings?

Just to confirm. My smeg induction hob is a full 7.2 kW rated and will draw the appropriate current. It seems Bosch have a great design.

I'm in the process or purchasing one.

It says 32A circuit required.
But also says it can be used on 10A and 16A circuits. (for europe I guess). I would love to know how you invoke this. There are links where the power is connected, so maybe you remove the links.

I would imagine when on half power, it time multiplexes the cooking zones.
I guess it won't allow you to set them all to max, and forces the user to choose lower settings?

To answer my question. You set it in configuration options.

1000W
1500W
3000W 13A
3500W 16A
4000W
4500W 20A
Unrestricted 32A

Neff

So Hardwork, will the switch be changed?

We can convince ourselves it may be ok, that it might be within limits, or change it for something more substantial.

As I've said (and as I would have thought would be obvious to anyone who understands the concepts), the concept of diversity is not appropriate to switches. Diversity estimates the maximum average current over an appreciable period of time, which is what matters in terms of heating of cables etc. A switch has to be able to safely break the maximum possible instantaneous current at the moment of switch-off - so the average current over a period of time is irrelevant, hence application of diversity inappropriate.

Kind Regards, John
If it were me, and I assume most users, I would switch off each ring before opening the switch, then breaking the max current does not arise. Don't know whether you can design on that basis though.

If it were me, and I assume most users, I would switch off each ring before opening the switch, then breaking the max current does not arise.
Indeed - as you say, that's what you, I and most others would do if we could (although I doubt that many/most of us would in an 'emergency' situation - e.g. if smoke or flames were involved, or someone was receiving an electric shock!). In any event ...
.... Don't know whether you can design on that basis though.
I think that's the point - even if that scenario is very unlikely, one should not design on the basis that it would never happen. Indeed, could your argument not be used in an attempt to 'justify' the use of a switch which could only safely break 10A, 5A or whatever?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back