oven/hob circuit rating

pma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a seperate circuit for my hob and oven. I believe the wiring on each to be 6mm2 (measured as 7 strands of copper wire approx 1mm dia for each cable)
My questions have arisen as I am about to replace the oven and want to make sure all is OK:
1) I have no problems. The ceramic hob works reliably at full blast, but the consumer unit is rated at 20A for both the hob and oven circuit- Is this too low?
(The hob is rated at approx 6.6kW, max 29A)
2) Does the oven need a specific isolation switch that says 'cooker' on it rather than a normal double pole isolation switch?
(New oven is rated at 4.4kW, max 20A)
Any comments

Sponsored Links
The oven should be on a 20A MCB with a 20A DP switch near the oven. 4mm or 6mm cable.

The hob should be on a 32A MCB with a 45A DP switch near the hob. 6mm cable.

I dont think I can make that any clearer.

It should be made clear which switch does what. The red switch/neon on a 45A = red glow from hob, thats good enough for me ;)

Oh, and take note any changes are notifiable to your local building control under part p of the building regs because its in a kitchen.

The hob should be on a 32A MCB with a 45A DP switch near the hob. 6mm cable

Why the rated current of DP switch to be bigger than rated current of MCB? (I mean that the MCB will not trip earlier than DP when causing overcurrent?)

Sponsored Links
A DP switch isn't an overcurrent protective device, it is only a switch. It needs to be the same size or greater than the current that which needs to be switched.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back