An inherited job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I purchased a 2nd floor flat in May this year. Just noticed that where the flue vent from the central heating boiler exits through the block work, the installer has not sealed up around the pipe.

The boiler was only installed in Jan this year. Is the installer under any compulsion to make good his 'oversight', bearing in mind that we were not the owners at the time nor hired him? Can we enforce a statutory duty of care on him?

Many thanks for any advice
Eddie

Sponsored Links
is it sealed on one side or not at all

if its sealed on the outside then your ok ideally both should be sealed i am sure if u ring him he would come asap and fix the job as reputations are too easy to lose

Hi. Thanks for your reply.
The flue vent is about 40 ft up from the external ground surface so hard to properly examine. It is beyond the range of stilts & may require a fire engine ladder! I looked through a pair of binoculars & the exterior is definately not sealed up flush with the blockwork (you can see the pipe disappearing into the shadows of the hole). From the inside it is impossible to assess the problem as the boiler is fixed up to the wall with a large board screwed into place behind it. So getting an internal approach would require removal of the boiler & the board!

ANyway I have phoned the installer: he seemed surprised that he had left a job like that & said he would come around to look at it. I will lpost any developemnts on this message thread.

Regards
Ed... err Homeboy (I am surprised no-one had already taken this pseudonym)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back