An interesting read

Well..... voltage recorder fitted in HOUSE week past Friday, removed last Friday
voltage recorder fitted at TRANNY last Monday, removed Thu?? lol

Phoned today to chase up as I am doing twice a day now to start bugging them using a direct dial number. we're "waiting on the data being collated and examined. . ."

Yawn :rolleyes:

edit: also, I was speaking to the linesman who fitted and removed the monitor, they also agree it is likely a broken or high res. neutral underground or elsewhere upstream of our house, as seen before by them. but try telling the big boss that one about there perfect little network :(

Sponsored Links
I understand if people are getting bored of me rambling on, believe me, I am myself. But had to give an update...

SP manager called today, their sending out another contractor to do a full PIR on our house and next doors and checking the earthing arrangements as they admitted they have screwed up somewhere and don't know what system is in use, seems to be a mixture of them all!

They still are not convinced by the broken/high res. neutral theory, even though four SP engineers have now suggested this... :unsure:

matt, tell me about it, I'm at the stage of hitting my head of the brick wall. It's not even funny anymore :(

you phone up every few days and get the same s**t day in, day out "oh your not a priority case"

I know what's going to happen on Thu, there going to try and nit pick until they find something that is wrong and try and shift the blame, i'm at my wits end, about to explode.

on that note, in my bedroom there is a socket that is not easy to get to as it's at the back of a built in wardrobe. To make life easier I made a "fixed extension" a few weeks back ie... orig. socket -> 13A fused plug -> 2.5mm t&e -> 2 gang socket mounted on the side of the wardrobes..... are they likely to slap me on the knuckles for this, I mean it's fused and is basically an extension cable? If they do try and nit pick, I will become nasty with SP, have been too reserved for far too long now.

Thanks everyone for your input, it's proved invaluable in helping me understanding the matter!

Sponsored Links
I understand if people are getting bored of me rambling on, believe me, I am myself. But had to give an update...

Not at all, keep the info coming. The title of the thread is "an interesting read" and it is an interesting read :LOL:

Not at all, keep the info coming. The title of the thread is "an interesting read" and it is an interesting read :LOL:

Agreed the point is you have a problem and after 8 months it still isn't yet sorted and needs solving and we all wan't to know the outcome.

Andy

Have you thought about writing to the Chaiman of SP (addressed to him by name) enclosing a print our of this entire post?

And if that gets no-where local press?

Funny you should say that...

In my anger last night I sent an email to the managing director, listing EVERYTHING I had on the case including a link to this thread as this is basically a diary of events! (Hello btw if your reading this - your not of the hook!)

anyways, this PIR is happening tomorrow at 8am, then the neighbours. As i have never experienced a PIR in my life I'm not sure what to expect, but know it will take some time as it's in depth.

Also, I know there are things that will deffinately crop up as "not to standard" like the light fitting in the bathroom is not an IP rated fixture... a socket in the kitchen maybe a wee bit too close to the sink (installed by council I must add!) etc.

However (and this is directed at the MD if your reading this...) Scottish Power better not use any of these 'minor' issues to 'shift the blame' OK, I'm a student, but I'm not daft! This thread is evidence within it's own right and tbh I think some of the people on here should be offered jobs to replace some of the people higher up the game in SP as they seem to have a better understanding of this issue! needless to say SP is not a communication company!.

As a DNO engineer I am in no doubt that this issue has gone on long enough!

If within a reasonable time (say 7 working days) you have not had a satisfactory reply, copy the email with a complaint to the electricity regulator.
AS they may be in breech of ESCQR a copy to the Depatment of Trade (or whatever they are called) would do no harm!

tbh, I have been nice about this far too long. This was first reported in November and classed as an emergency albeit 6ft of snow came up here and they hid in their offices until January :!: :!: :!:

They send engineers who would probably need authorisation by there bosses to get out of bed in the morning judging by all the times I've heard "I'll need authorisation to do that" 11 crews have been, not one with a set of ladders, shattered our cutout, hammered earthrod after earth rod into the grass, stood and stared for literally 10's of man hours looking at a multimeter showing fluctuating 3-6/7Amps on the Earth terminal with the cut out removed..... four of them have said the dodgy neutral theory like people on here said right from the start.... then they go away, and say they'll be back, but no, I have to phone and chase up call after call and I've been going round in circles for months!

Then they want this PIR done now - why I don't now - blame shifting!
If the MD does not reply, It's hitting the papers, the MP, everything until it's sorted.....

You phone up and say "OK i'm sick of this, what would you do if we adjusted our payments to match the service I think I'm getting" reply - "cut you off". .. . .

Maybe I'm too soft with them!

Thanks all!

[/rant over] (for now) lol

tbh, I have been nice about this far too long. This was first reported in November and classed as an emergency albeit 6ft of snow came up here and they hid in their offices until January :!: :!: :!:

They send engineers who would probably need authorisation by there bosses to get out of bed in the morning judging by all the times I've heard "I'll need authorisation to do that" 11 crews have been, not one with a set of ladders, shattered our cutout, hammered earthrod after earth rod into the grass, stood and stared for literally 10's of man hours looking at a multimeter showing fluctuating 3-6/7Amps on the Earth terminal with the cut out removed..... four of them have said the dodgy neutral theory like people on here said right from the start.... then they go away, and say they'll be back, but no, I have to phone and chase up call after call and I've been going round in circles for months!

Then they want this PIR done now - why I don't now - blame shifting!
If the MD does not reply, It's hitting the papers, the MP, everything until it's sorted.....

You phone up and say "OK i'm sick of this, what would you do if we adjusted our payments to match the service I think I'm getting" reply - "cut you off". .. . .

Maybe I'm too soft with them!

Thanks all!

[/rant over] (for now) lol

I think the service you are receiving is sub-standard but to play devils advocate - if (for example) you go to trading standards they would want to quantify what the shortfall is between what they (SP) are supposed to provide VS what they actually provide. They might argue that while there are technical issues, they are still providing you with the service you pay for (supplying the property with electricity) As said though, I would personally find their approach unacceptable

I just feel that a percentage of our electricity charges (supplier is SP anyway) must go to the DNO for their responsibility to provide and maintain a safe and suitable supply to our property, and a service to repair such faults on the supply if they crop up, with minimal fuss. I'm maybe just being a bit petty now, but I feel as if they just don't care in the least, and not providing me with this customer service. :(

Anyways, no electricians yet to do the PIR. . . wonder if they'll even turn up!

Thanks again

We feed next doors supply (semi-detached) so they pulled the service fuses in both houses (and broke ours so a nice new one now) and 3A was still present.
Whatever the PIR turns up, it's hard to see how they could say it's the cause.

They may just be looking for ways to cast doubt and give themselves wriggle room.

If they do tell them that this is heading rapidly towards legal action so they'd better be certain that their expert witness will be able to stand up in court and swear on oath that in his opinion it was all being caused by something downstream of a removed fuse....

Are other people in the street having the same problems?

Could you unite and all refuse to pay the whole amount? The larger the number of refuseniks the harder it will be for SP to deal with by just cutting them off.

Good Afternoon all, I'm smiling! (to an extent)

PIR done on both houses and ALL OK!!
there were a few minor things like socekets within reaching distance of sink etc etc. but IQA are forming the report over the weekend and posting to us/SP on mon.

Electrician said no code ones, and only 1 or 2 code 4's, other than that, everything is actually is good working order! pretty similar story for next door, only a loose overheating connection found in a shower that has been re made.

Then came the laugh of the day....... SP vans come speeding up the street to the tranny... 3 people in our area reported flickering lights, SP attend and find an arcing connection at the tranny that was severely overheating and eventually blew a HV fuse.

SP engineer came and spoke to IQA engineer. SP engineer had been before and couldn't believe this is still ongoing, IQA and SP have now agreed that the fault is upstream of our property and will be a damaged neutral (*halllllleeeellluuuujjaaahhh*) this is being submitted alongside the PIR report saying this fault requires deeper investigation (I'd say code 4?? LOL!)

In conclusion - Thank you Scottish Power for the free PIR!
PS - there still at the tranny!

IQA and SP have now agreed that the fault is upstream of our property and will be a damaged neutral

Sounds like they had too many people involved, one good electrician could have worked out the fault in a matter of hours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back