An interesting read

Most of the network is ancient. It all works. It's cheaper to only replace bits if they go wrong.

Sponsored Links
Not exactly yesterday is it? what is GPO... general purpose outlet??

Does anyone not think it is taking a while to get to the bottom of this?
anyone else with any ideas what will happen next?

edit: except "they will do nothing about it and we will all simultaneously be electrocuted :unsure: "

They do work weekends but emergencies only as we know only too well living in what is locally dubbed (powercut alley).

When our substation was renewed and the overhead 11KV powerline was refurbished we thought our problems were over.It was for a year and now the powercuts are back.

At the moment our there's a big bunch of conifer trees growing thought the powerlines and that line has broke twice on that section so we are waiting for it to break again.

I have pics of it and if your interested i'll post them on another thread as i know you all like pics.

I did report this on a saturday afternoon at 8pm the same day a lot of united utillities vehicles turned up outside my house and they told me it needed urgent attention that was last november and nothing has been done to date.

Andy

sounds like here "hello scottish power emergencies.... ohh electrician found 2A on Earth! That is dangerous, keep load to minimal, don't poke around CU with a spoon, be there in a few hours get the kettle on" (6/Dec)

11 Jan "hello, we're here to look at a problem reported in this property"
2hrs later, eight men, a cherrypicker (unused), a gaffer, five RV's and a posh gaffers BMW lol

Sponsored Links
Hopefully not, we only found out after being p'd off at our RCD tripping at everything that has no Earth! ie things with figure eight connectors elctronics etc.

SP ask in other houses "ohh aye.... ours goes all the time, but i just put it back up!"

ahh i see, many manholes on our street are marked post office telephones. Interesting to see a company go that far back in history.... Sorry about not replying quicker..... plugged in charger as bat. low... "tooinnggg" RCD goes :mad:

united utillities vehicles

UU ceased looking after it in July last year and all vehicles debadged by August.
They would have been Electricity Northwest.

My brother used to live off a Redcat Lane!

united utillities vehicles

UU ceased looking after it in July last year and all vehicles debadged by August.
They would have been Electricity Northwest.

My brother used to live off a Redcat Lane!

Yes i forgot about that it is Electricity Northwest.

Is the redcat lane your referring to is in crank,near rainford as their is a pub that i used to frequent called the red cat hotel and thats were i got my signature from.

Andy

Well i'm back but still no update as it's not Monday yet!

recieved a polite letter from SP this morning asking for our opinion on the service we recieved for our fault dated 6/12/2010.... OK well at least they ask or the customers opinion!

Noticed last night in that torrential rain the lights were playing up.
Had 3 50W GU10's on in my room. On a dimmer, set very dim as watching tv, lights seemed to get ever so slightly brighter, dimmer, brighter, dimmer every few seconds.

I give in, think I'll just sit in my room with a candle tonight and study, no need for any electricity.

Can anyone answer this though as SP don't seem to know either.

Why does the RCD trip always on things without an earth that are low load!

IE. DVD Players, Laptops, Lamps etc.
but never on Tumble Dryers, 8kW Showers, Oil Heaters etc!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back