An iron for the 21st century

HSK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all

I’m a student at university currently studying Product Design. My major project for the year is based on bringing the design of the clothes iron into the 21st century, as the majority of the products out on the market are all conventional forms and designs.
Research is obviously a large and important aspect of the project, therefore I was wondering if people could answer the following questions for me as it would be of great use to discover the opinions of the varying general public.

What method is used by yourself to complete the ironing process, from the washer/dryer through to the finished ironing (are clothes ironed in piles straight out of the washer/dryer, do you iron clothes only when going to be worn, are particular types of garments ironed first, etc)?

Is there any other activity undertaken while doing the ironing (e.g. listening to music, having something to drink, watching tv, etc)?

Are there any ergonomic issues with irons which have had an affect on different body postures (e.g. hand postures, overall standing posture) and are any particular functions on irons more difficult to use than others?

What would you like to see in the new generation iron that would make it not only easier but also less of a chore?

What ‘inventions’ and innovative features of irons nowadays have really helped with the ironing process?

Any other issues with ironing that could be resolved?

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this post, it would be extremely useful to my study. If the age and gender of the poster could also be included that would be very helpful, as it would allow me to define what varying sets of people think.

Thank you all once again.

Sponsored Links
Now that the wife works full time and the domestic chores including laundry have become my responsibilty the kids basically get to wear their clothes for as long as they want or run around looking like crumpled heaps. I'm looking into a bulk purchase of diposable overalls.

Im an old male :LOL:
I cant iron (yes I tried) :oops:
My ex wife hated ironing but did it has it had to be done, she did a good job.
My partner loves ironing, I thing she washes just so she can do it

I think as far as your questions, I think people do it sitting, standing, tv, radio, maybe whilst having hankie pankie.
I think its how long is the piece of string.

What method is used by yourself to complete the ironing process, from the washer/dryer through to the finished ironing (are clothes ironed in piles straight out of the washer/dryer, do you iron clothes only when going to be worn, are particular types of garments ironed first, etc)?

I've heard that there's a book available called "Why Men Don't Iron" or something similar. For myself I can answer that. Nobody has ever convinced me of the need to do it! I do washing. I do drying. I don't iron. End of story!:cool: :cool: :cool:

In my experience, if you take something straight out of a tumble dryer, fold it and lay it down flat in a pile, it irons itself. :) :) :) There'll certainly be nothing in that pile that I wouldn't wear straight from the cupboard, so when the pile gets big enough it goes in the cupboard. :) :) :) There'll be a few creases in them that COULD have been ironed out but what the hell; I'm only going to get them all creased again! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

PS: Before somebody accuses me of wasting energy, the tumble dryer is only the final stage in the process. The wet stuff will have hung outside to dry first or, in wet weather, it'll have spent a day dangling from one of those airers with ropes and pulleys - just like your mother had. ;) ;) ;) By the time they go in the tumbler they're as good as dry.

PPS: It's a condensing dryer. :) :) :)

PPPS: Here's my idea for an iron for the 21st century. You fold the clothes and put them in the ironing machine. You close the lid. You go put your feet up with a video and a can of Carsberg Special - or two if it's a good film. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: You come back (stagger back?), open the lid and the ironing is done. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Sponsored Links
Ideal iron - cordless,steam, non-stick, large capacity water reservoir and for the future how about a fabric sensor and steam dispenser to straighten out clothes on the hanger.

As a house husband, I do all the washing and ironing usually on the same day. Everything apart from towels, socks and underwear gets ironed while I'm standing up listening to the radio. I never stop until the basket is empty.

It may be of interest to note that that the two years old iron that I use at the moment cost about £12 from Tesco. Its predcessor cost just under £60 and lasted just over the guarantee period.

Good luck with your project.

I guess, reading this, that I'm rather lucky as my clothes go from me to a bin in the bathroom and then appear a couple of days later washed and ironed back in my wardrobe.

I occupy my time in the interim with a round of golf.

I naturally assumed everone else had the same arrangement :LOL:

I guess, reading this, that I'm rather lucky as my clothes go from me to a bin in the bathroom and then appear a couple of days later washed and ironed back in my wardrobe.

Well thats 2 of us, maybe we could make a 4ball. :LOL:

Well thats 2 of us, maybe we could make a 4ball. :LOL:

Make that three of us.
Only now and again they are there for around a week, like this week because the laundry fairy is working in Brasil for a week.
Have a cunning plan to combat this, the outlaw she loves cleaning for me :eek:

Out at 12 for a round ;)

PS, A cordless iron, did,nt they have them once :?:

clf-gas said:
A cordless iron, did,nt they have them once

My grandmother had one fifty years ago. She used to heat it up on the gas stove! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Nice one Space Cat! However, do remember that the guy who introduced this posting has a very serious piece of work on hand. Perhaps if the guys who dont do any ironing, and I am not saying that you are one of them, got their wives or partners to contribute, then the HSK might just glean some info that would be of value to him in his project.

However, do remember that the guy who introduced this posting has a very serious piece of work on hand.

Bolo, you're absolutely right. My first suggestion, namely an ironing machine, was not entirely frivolous but is probably beyond the limits of present day technology. :oops: :oops: :oops: I'd better stick to stuff I understand, like nuclear fusion. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Here's some (possibly) useful information. When our other half gets going she watches TV at the same time. She also irons a lot of stuff that COULD be lobbed - sorry, I mean folded - into a machine. I'm talking about flat stuff like towels, pillow cases and dish clothes. No kidding; SHE IRONS DISH CLOTHS!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

HSK, I've just had an idea that might actually work. :D :D :D

It's an ironing machine. Think mangle here. Think powered mangle. Now think hot rollers. Would this work? :D :D :D

It dawned on me that folding stuff into an ironing machine that wouldn't work would be just as much trouble as feeding it into rollers that might. Such a device wouldn't work for everything but it could be perfect for anything flat - especially dish cloths! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's something I could be persuaded to use. And why not; I already fold the stuff into neat piles. It wouldn't just be towels either. I would put socks through it too - and tee shirts - and jeans! Better make sure those rollers are up to it! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back