Anchor an arbor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've brought one of these pergolas, the 2.4 x 3.6 one

but not sure of best way to anchor it. The area it's going to is covered by paving slabs, they look like they're about 500mm deep. Can I anchor it to those?

The pergola posts are heavy, but with the beams etc I'm thinking it might be a bit top heavy to be left free standing, esp with the high winds at winter?

Any advice welcomed

Thanks,
Graham

Sponsored Links
those things any good? there's not going to be a roof as such but I wanted to grow a natural canopy out of climbers so worried about the strong winds?
Was hoping to not have to concrete

Sponsored Links
The various sheds have a few designs of these bolt downs.....some galvanised, some not.
If you cant get your exact size, the legs can be packed out with 10mm timber slips to make up the difference. For sure, if you lived up here then the winds would have the structure over - at least until the creeper had anchored it!
You'll need a decent SDS drill of course to insert the anchors into the flags.
John :)

will the creeper add much anchor? Hadn't thought about that tbh.
Does it matter how deep the flags are? I think they're just lying on dirt/top soil. They aren't decorative by any means.

it's going to be positioned in the corner in the attached pic

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 70
I can't attach the posts to anything because of how far the beams pertrude from the posts if you get what I mean

another option would be to hack the one end and attach to that out building and just have 2 posts?

They look pretty substantial flags, looking at the size of them - but of course we don't know how thick they are.
Either way, you'll get a good enough fixing with rawlbolts or whatever and the structure can be modified at will with extra timber if you like.
As the creeper matures it will certainly help to lock the thing in place, but ensure you can check for rot etc at the base and wherever the timber has joints..
Why not pop the structure into place, see how it looks and decide from there?
Good luck with your project! If you have trouble with rawlbolts then resin fixings are a good alternative.

so I'd need 75mm rawlbots (not sure they do smaller lens?) with the same width as the holes in those post shoes?

Personally I'd go for 10 or 12mm bolts, but either way, do a test drill somewhere and see how you go with them. All of these types work on the same expanding sleeve principle, and need a clean drilled hole to work easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back