Angle Grinder

• Thread starter Deleted2797112
  • Start date
D

Deleted2797112

I need to get some seized roofing bolts off a cast iron garden bench frame and then shorten a few lengths of concrete scallop path edging so I think I need an angle grinder. The over-riding consideration is that it must be cheap. It's not something I can forsee using a lot so don't want to spend any more than necessary to get something cheap and basic that will do these jobs. Can anyone suggest one please?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Any 4 1/2" angle grinder will be fine, Screwfix do one at £20.83 (63218)
but at this price there may be, or may not, have any discs included.
Draper also do cheapies, as do Wickes - if that is more convenient.
A 3mm cutting disc will be fine - plus goggles!
You'll need a stone cutting disc for the concrete - but of course you don't need to cut all the way through.
John :)

Yep, 20 quid at most will get you a basic grinder. Discs probably aren't included but they're cheap, depending on the target material.

I tend to use 1mm discs for bolts and such, they're 50p each for Bosch ones... No reason not to have a stack of 'em.

Thanks Burnerman and Monkeh, that's great! I've got Screwfix, Wickes and Toolstations locally so will have a look at what they've got.

Need for eye protection noted - I have them already.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Burnerman and Monkeh, that's great! I've got Screwfix, Wickes and Toolstations locally so will have a look at what they've got.

Need for eye protection noted - I have them already.

Toolstation have some cheapies which will be fine for odd jobs, they don't sell many cheap discs though, mostly packs.

Thanks Monkeh. Annoyingly, that Screwfix grinder is discontinued, no stock. The other ones around that price are almost all 500W compared to the Screwfix 900W. There's an 800W Silverline one that Toolstation and Amazon have for around £22 that I think I'll get as they both have good return policies if there's any problem. I've seen the stone and concrete disc for it but can't work out which are the best discs for cutting the roofing bolts. Metal cutting discs seem to come in a variety of "widths"?

e.g. 115 x 3.2 x 22.2 or 115 x 1 x 22

Or will a metal grinding disc be better?

Or something else altogether :confused: TIA!

Grinding discs are for grinding, not cutting.

Thinner discs remove less material, involve less friction. Waste of power going through a small bolt with a thick disc.

Wickes have a £29.99 one @ 850W.....product number 195567.
They sell the discs separately too - go for a 3mm thick one for general cutting. 22.2mm is the arbor hole size in the centre of the disc. Flat or dished discs can be used, and the Wickes tool has a locking peg so you only need one key to change the disc.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back