Annoying Humming Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the beginning of last month I had my system boiler and hot water cylinder replaced with a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 25SI.

Now this may be coincidental but ever since then I've been hearing a low pitch humming noise pretty much everywhere in the house. It's continuous and does not seem to be associated with whether the controls are requesting heat or even if the boiler is switched on or off.

In fact I've even tried switching the mains supply off at the mains isolator and still the humming persists.

I've had my ear up to every wall in the house but I can't hear anything similar.

Now either I'm going mad or there is something else going on?

Any ideas?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Disorderly said:
At the beginning of last month I had my system boiler and hot water cylinder replaced with a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 25SI.

Now this may be coincidental but ever since then I've been hearing a low pitch humming noise pretty much everywhere in the house. It's continuous and does not seem to be associated with whether the controls are requesting heat or even if the boiler is switched on or off.

In fact I've even tried switching the mains supply off at the mains isolator and still the humming persists.

I've had my ear up to every wall in the house but I can't hear anything similar.

Now either I'm going mad or there is something else going on?

Any ideas?

TIA

well it is spring maybe you have humming birds nesting in te attic

Annoying humming noise? Sounds like BOB Dole. ;)

Seriously though, if you hear the noise even with the boiler electrically isolated, it can't be the function of the boiler causing it. However a humming noise could conceivably be caused by wind passing across the terminal of the boiler flue/air duct and setting up some sort of resonance within the ducting. IF you temporarily cover up the terminal (don't attempt to use the boiler!) you could test that hypothesis out. Let us know the result.

Or tinitus?

Are you aged over 55 when the problem usually starts?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Oh you lot are so droll ;) :)

I was thinking about the flue but the humming does seem to be constant in pitch and I would have thought it would vary with the wind speed? I'll check it how this weekend anyway. Thanks.

I did also think it might have been a pump left connected somewhere in the c.h. circuit that was not getting switched off by the new boiler controls, but the fact that it persists after I isolate the mains has killed that idea. Of course something could have been wired in *before* the mains isolator, I wouldn't put it past the builders of my house (lots of complaints on the estate).

I've also though it might be something to do with the new gas pipe that the boiler installers fitted from the incoming supply to the new boiler. The new (22mm?) pipe is run around the front and side of the house, clipped to the brick wall. The old one is still connected (runs under the ground floor) but has been chopped off and capped in the kitchen wall behind the boiler.

And it does sound like a motor of some sort.

It's bloody annoying anyway, especially lying in bed at night.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

We have the same problem that you experienced - did you ever find a solution as I now think I am going mad!!! and so does everyone else. Any suggestions?

i hear this ould be something to do with your pump try slowing the pump speed down .

if you turn off the water main stopcock does it stop?

If you run a tap does it change?

If you go outside and walk round the house can you hear it?

Thanks for your replies. Tried turning the water off outside, unfortunately noise still there.

Still there when electric and gas switched off, had electric and gas meters changed, environmental health out they couldnt find anything on their low frequency meter. Been going on for a few months. It still continues when everything off. Any other suggestions?

Sorry meant to add can't hear it outside, will try the tap though. Can't hear it when the heating is on as the boiler is in the garage below the bedroom and that noise sort of masks the humming.

Thanks again.

Yes almost eveyone who visits can hear the sound. Tried almost everything now running out of things to try.

Sorry meant to add can't hear it outside, will try the tap though. Can't hear it when the heating is on as the boiler is in the garage below the bedroom and that noise sort of masks the humming.
Thanks again.

It sounds to me as if you have very sensitive hearing.

I am unable to hear when most heating systems are running unless I am very close to the boiler.

Its also unusual that you are so bothered about it. Most people just ignore common or continuous noises.

Tony

Thanks for your reply - it is very difficult to ignore as it is now causing both of us to lose sleep as the noise is constant obviously it is more audible at night when the house is quiet. We will keep trying to find the noise, the next step is to get a heating engineer out to check the boiler, then I suppose lifting floors to see if any pipes are vibrating and resonating around the house.

Thanks for your reply - it is very difficult to ignore as it is now causing both of us to lose sleep as the noise is constant obviously it is more audible at night when the house is quiet. We will keep trying to find the noise, the next step is to get a heating engineer out to check the boiler, then I suppose lifting floors to see if any pipes are vibrating and resonating around the house.

With both electricity and water turned off there is no source of power to sustain resonance.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back