Annoying too long phone cable along skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a BT engineer round to replace an old cable that was falling apart as part of the sign up with a broadband company.

The engineer placed a new white cable and fixed it down on the wooden flooring along the skirting board using staples at intervals.

Unfortunately, he did not keep the cable taut and as a result there are parts where the cable looks too loose and slack instead of being straight and low on the floor.

I don't plan on putting carpets to cover the floor and can see this annoying me. The cable leads up to a BT openreach phone socket.

I don't have any experience with wiring and cables but what I would ideally like to happen is to remove the half dozen staples where I can see bumps in the cable, straighten the cable out and cut off few cm excess from the end of the phone socket. That would involve opening the phone box up and fiddling with the inside wires to shorten the thing.

If I tried calling BT up they would probably laugh (it was lucky that they even replaced old wiring which was falling to bits but was "still working".)

Sponsored Links
Well so long as it's not the master BT cable you're welcome to do as you please with it (sounds like it's an extension so carry on).

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:telephone-socket

You may need an IDC punchdown tool if you find the extension faceplate is a newer style one, older ones have screw terminals

Then just get a few BT cable clips from somewhere that sells them in quantities of less than a hundred - no point buying a cable tacker just for one length of cable

If it is just a few cm's, you could probably lose it in the pattress.

No need to re-terminate then.

Sponsored Links
Slightly lift the staples if you can (easier said than done), move cable along.

Loose any excess in the back box.

Unfortunately, he did not keep the cable taut and as a result there are parts where the cable looks too loose and slack instead of being straight and low on the floor.

That would not have happened in my days at the good old GPO Telecomms. Apparently BT/Openreach has 5WW too!

You may be a stickler for attention to detail.

I have seen lots of GPO-era wiring clipped up really appallingly!

The engineer placed a new white cable and fixed it down on the wooden flooring along the skirting board using staples at intervals.

I don't plan on putting carpets to cover the floor and can see this annoying me.

You can get wood-effect quadrant mini trunking for such locations
http://www.theplasmacentre.com/wall-brackets/cable-trunking/dline-2d1522qso-cable-trunking.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back