another bathroom extractor fan puzzle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
apologies, i've had a rummage through a lot of the older extractor fan posts but couldn't find what i was after (possibly because i was blinded by jargon more than once)

my old extractor fan died so i decided to replace it. it switched on with the light switch and stayed on for a while after the light was switched off. i bought a new 'extractor fan with timer' from wickes, assuming this to be more or less the same thing.

here is a photo of what i was faced upon removing the casing from the old extractor fan:

click here for picture

now i'm going for the brown being Live, the black with blue tape being Neutral and the yellow/green being earth, right?

the new fan has three terminals, L, N and L1.

i assume therefore that brown goes with L, black/blue with N but then what do i put in L1. is it the extra grey cable? if so, how come it isn't connected on the old fan?

the new one (and the old one i assume, because the earth is unconnected) is double insulated btw.

thanks in advance if you can help me :)

Sponsored Links
my old extractor fan died so i decided to replace it. it switched on with the light switch and stayed on for a while after the light was switched off.
If that is a 230V fan, it only has L&N connections, so there is no way it could stay on after the light is switched off.

The other grey wire MAY be a switched line, assuming it is connected at the other end. You need to locate the other end of the cable and see what is connected where.

The old fan in its present format doesn't appear to be a timer fan.
The photo is a bit dark but you have the brown (switched live???) and black(blue sleeve - neutral???) going into the terminal block with the two red wires leaving and going one assumes to the motor. The second terminal strip appears to be floating and contains a earth wire and what appears to be the grey wire which may be the permanent live.

As already said you will need to trace back the cables to your light ceiling rose and establish which one is permanent live (grey?) which one is neutral (black/blue sleeve) and which one is switch live (brown ???)
One this is done wire according to the instructions.

Sponsored Links
Is it possible that the fan has a timer unit somewhere else?

Loft for example.

Is it possible that the fan has a timer unit somewhere else?

Loft for example.

if there is a separate one, it's not anywhere accessible. we live in a ground floor flat with no loft.

thanks for your thoughts everybody, i'll have a look in the ceiling rose tomorrow and see where that takes me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back