Another deck joist dilemma

• Thread starter danielson23uk
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

danielson23uk

Hi everyone. This is my first post on here but I suspect with the project I'm taking on, I doubt it will be my last.

My Bro-in-law and I are replacing his old raised patio with a deck. The area is about 15m square and will use a combination of post supports at it's furthest end and ledger boards at the house end with some slab supports in between.

So my question is that old 6 x 2 against 4 x 2 chestnut! Can we get away with saving ourselves a few quid by using 4 x 2 on a part raised deck? I have seen some answers to a similar question post on here not too long ago so apologies if this appears a duplicate. The answers mainly appear to refer to increasing the amount of supports being the only issue. But is there any structural or engineering reason why we can't use 4 x 2 on an elevated deck?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
you can use it but it will need more supports. the other thing you can do is run counter joists under the joists across the whole length of the joists and secure the ends into the vertical supports. If you do that at every 1-1.5m it will be very solid and avoid the bounce.

Hi everyone. This is my first post on here but I suspect with the project I'm taking on, I doubt it will be my last.

My Bro-in-law and I are replacing his old raised patio with a deck. The area is about 15m square and will use a combination of post supports at it's furthest end and ledger boards at the house end with some slab supports in between.

So my question is that old 6 x 2 against 4 x 2 chestnut! Can we get away with saving ourselves a few quid by using 4 x 2 on a part raised deck? I have seen some answers to a similar question post on here not too long ago so apologies if this appears a duplicate. The answers mainly appear to refer to increasing the amount of supports being the only issue. But is there any structural or engineering reason why we can't use 4 x 2 on an elevated deck?

Thanks in advance.

you could use 1x1 if you could support it enough! Its easy to get caught up in over-engineering this project - if it doesnt bounce when you have built it then you're fine - if it does, add some more supports. Of course, that would entail more cost (and more digging?) so may not be any cheaper.

And yes, it has been answered many times, and is a duplicate.

Thanks for the replies.

So we've ordered 6x2. My next question is about jiffy hangers. Are mini jiffy hangers suitable? The guy at the timber yard said they were but the Sabrefix website calls them only 'Light Duty' hangers.

Sponsored Links
You are over-engineering it again. Don't bother with hangers.

Keep life simple.

You are over-engineering it again. Don't bother with hangers.

Keep life simple.

Erm. Is that a yes or no? I suppose you're referring to just skew screwing or just coach screws?

It might be easy if you know the answer. I've come here for help.

And I gave you some. Don't use hangers. Yes, screws will be easier, cheaper and good enough for your deck. I didn't mean to be obtuse - I forget that not everyone has used the Search feature to trawl through all the similar questions on these forums for their answer.

And I gave you some. Don't use hangers. Yes, screws will be easier, cheaper and good enough for your deck. I didn't mean to be obtuse - I forget that not everyone has used the Search feature to trawl through all the similar questions on these forums for their answer.
The problem for me is that this is not MY deck and while I don't mind under engineering in my own back garden, it won't be my wallet that has to rectify any problems on this project so I want to help in as comprehensive a way as I can.

As for trawling Forums for questions. What wrong with talking? I doubt there's a subject that hasn't been covered at least once on here before. This is a forum, not an FAQ page after all. Bob Hoskins once got paid a lot of money to remind us that it's good to talk.

Thanks anyway. I'll be going with the mini hangers because they're very cheap and obviously stronger than skew screwing. If you could point me in the direction of the Stupid Questions section I'll not bother you further.

youve asked for help and hes given it. You could be grateful rather than sarcastic. Youve had help from a pro, who does it for a living, so hes giving up time at the busiest time of the year to answer your question for you for free. :rolleyes:

You misunderstand me Thermo, this is a forum. I asked a question on a 'Do It Yourself' help forum and was told I was over engineering. That's as maybe, but if so, educate me, don't just close ranks because you know the answer. My first decking project doesn't render me an imbecile just because you know the answer. I think my questions (while being addressed before) were open enough to spark more debate than "...this is an old topic..." in an "ask us something more challenging" sort of way.

Professional or not, WabbitPoo's response was much like the flippancy we novices ALL get lumbered with when we ask a 'laypersons' question. I might of expected that response had I gone on a pro deck builders forum but this is a site designed for laypersons. Let me know if you ever need any help diagnosing a heart attack and I'll be flippant with your silly questions. We're all professionals in one field or another.

I am grateful and it has helped me make my decision but for all the wrong reasons.

he gave you advice, however he was also pointing out the fact that if you had made an effort to scroll down the topic page and the next one, you may well have seen your question answered, as it has been asked very recently. So a little effort on your part a little gratitude rather than sarcasm may not have gone amiss.

By the way ill be fine with the local health service for a heart attack should the need ever arise

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. Anyway you have ignored the good advice anyway!

Good luck with the project, though.

Thanks for the reply WabbitPoo. I appreciate that it wasn't your intention to be sarcastic but that's how it came across.

Well we had already ordered and paid for the mini jiffy hangers so it would have actually been worse arranging to take them back and replace them. I just wanted to make sure that they were up to the job and wasn't really interested in whether they were surplus to requirements. By telling me that I'm over engineering, you've confirmed that they're strong enough which is all I wanted clarification of. Thanks.

So maybe we can start again. We're keeping a photo diary and I'd like to upload the project once it's done if anyone's interested.

Danielson, i hope your bedside manner is better than you online. :) (Brace for impact) IMHO the best advice has been given to you. Use the search facility or the related topics box at the bottom of your thread. You will find a wealth of information and i personally found answers to questions that had not even occurred to me in my initial planning of my deck project. There is nothing wrong with Jiffy hangers its just that skew screwing is very strong so most people do not see the need to go beyond that. 1 question, what size of screws will you use to fit your hangers? I ask as screwing is better than nailing every time, saves unwated squeaks as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back