Another decker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning on doing a deck approx 3.6m by 5.8m. I want to keep it level to the ground so I'm not peering over the fence and also to keep level with the grass.

So far I've took off the top layer of soil, about 4 inches. My plan is too use around 6 paving slabs, bed into the soil with sand and lay my decking frame on top of this using 4 x 2 timber. Due to the size I was looking at doing two frames and bolting them together.

Is there any issues with having the deck float on top of the ground as such and not be fixed to the ground using posts?

Also do I have any advantage to moving up to 6 x 2 timber being a ground level deck?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I've just done a very similar project, with results I'm very happy with.

Firstly i used 4 x 2 timber and it worked well - using these http://www.screwfix.com/p/turbo-coach-screws-yellow-zinc-plated-6-x-90mm-pk100/46700

I was originally going to lay the deck on slabs but the more i read convinced my to "do it properly" and attached legs that were concreted in - really glad i did this as it feels really solid with no movement at all.

Be interested to hear how you get on with it.

thanks for the reply, decking looks good. I will keep hold of that link for the screws.

Cheers

Sounds like a very similar deck to mine, I used 6x2 as it was recommended in various places, I concreted my slabs down but i made sure they had a proper base of compacted hardcore and stone beneath them, not just sticking them on soil. Im not expecting it to sink and is solid as a rock to walk on.

have a look below

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/decking-project.432126/

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The decking is now finished. I ended up changing the original plans.

I decided to do 10 paving slabs (cheap B & Q standard 400 x 400 slabs), 5 each along approx 880mm apart. I dug out some of the top earth the size of each slab, laid in sharp sand and leveled the slab out. After digging out the top 4-6 inches of soil first of all I was hitting clay, so anymore digging was proving more difficult. I was confident the ground was pretty solid here.

I used 6x2 wood. I made up two frames, I think it was approx 2.7m (Width) x 3.4m (Length) each frame with 3 noggins per row, each row was just under 400mm wide with one row in each frame being odd and coming out around 450-500mm wide. Because of how low the deck is, I treated every bit of wood with screw fix's no nonsense wood treatment in case it ends up sitting in water.

I screwed in some DPC on the front of the decking frame with the idea that the soil is not sitting up against the frame and in direct contact.

I've been doing the whole garden from scratch, so I've put the fence in and dug a trench for some conduit for future cabling to the back of the garden (another project). Here is the start of the digging out:

35c318y.jpg

This is one side of the frame:

2gsg6d0.jpg

The boards starting to go on (Note that last few boards are not fixed and just shoved up against each other)

2v2d3r6.jpg

And finally a finished project!

15hkg42.jpg

A small bridge from the back door to the decking out of the scrap bits left over:

2uikldh.jpg

Reason for this is because eventually the lean too behind it, will be extended out but that's an expensive project that needs saving up for so I've placed the decking where I wanted it to be when its all finished.

And finally, this is my garden when I first moved in last year in July :eek:

f01yrm.jpg

(You should of seen inside the house!)

Looks really good, and what a transformation, you have done really well. The fence looks really straight (y)(y)

Top job, now waiting for some grass?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back