Another dimmer switch question...

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

I have one red wire, one black and one yellow / green.

I have a dimmer switch. Sockets are L1, L2 and another marked by an arrow through a wavy line (and the earth which I already know is for the yellow / green).

Question: which wires go into which holes? First correct answer gets a prize.

Sponsored Links
Your red should be permanently live and go to wavy line/arrow terminal and black to L2.

The wavy line with the arrow is the symbol for the variable output.
The live feed would go on the L2
Most dimmers though it doesnt matter, but I would stick the suppply to the L1 or L2 unless you know otherwise.

Sponsored Links
I tried that and the 300W transformer makes a loud buzzing when I switch it on.

So now I'm trying to put the normal flick switch back on. It has:

COM

1WAY

2WAY

Which wires go into which holes??

Hang on. Before I give any advice I want to know what the prize is...

Just kidding!!

Maybe the dimmer and transformer are incompatible, hence the complaint from the tranny.

Put the wires one into COM and one into L1.

Yes, but WHICH wire goes into COM and which into L1?

It doesn't really matter, just put red in com, black in L1. If the switch is the wrong way up put black in L2. Black should have red sleeve.

What's the prize?

This can only end badly.
For those that don't remember, attractivebrunette is the person who asks endlessly for advice, only to then question every detail and eventually ignore it and do whatever they like.

They are also the person who a couple of years ago attempted to wire a 4 ring electric hob with 0.5mm flex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back