Another Double Insulated lighting question :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've just bought this light...

http://www.astrolighting.co.uk/Denia-0587

and I'm just wondering about the best way to deal with the earth.

The current ceiling rose is connected via a junction box, so no concerns about loop-in-out. The feed wire is currently a 1.5mm2 twin and earth.

As you can see from the pictures below, the light only accepts live and neutral, via an external connector block. Not enough room to pop in an earth wire.

Any help appreciated

d.

Sponsored Links
I've just bought this light...
I'm a bit confused. Where does that second cable visible in the middle and right-hand piccies come from?

The simplest answer to your question is probably to use a 3-way connector block in a bigger enclosure.

Kind Regards, John.

Hi John, the fitting takes two bulbs, I've only had one in there while I took the picture. So the connector block has 4 wires going into it, 2 live and two neutral, from each of the bulb fittings.

Changing the block to a three way sounds like the way to go.
Thought didn't even enter my head :)

Sponsored Links
Ignore JohnW2, you only need two terminals.
Unfortunately, that's not true. The feeding cable (T&E) has a CPC (earth conductor), as it is required to have, and that needs to be terminated somewhere, not just left loose! What exactly are you suggesting that the OP does with the CPC of his T&E?

Kind Regards, John.

Hi John, the fitting takes two bulbs, I've only had one in there while I took the picture. So the connector block has 4 wires going into it, 2 live and two neutral, from each of the bulb fittings.
Ah, that makes sense!

Changing the block to a three way sounds like the way to go. Thought didn't even enter my head :)
I think it's the obvious way to go, and I think you should think carefully before following holmslaw's suggestion - which would leave the earth wire of your feed cable either cut off or flapping around!

Kind Regards, John.

I was going to remove the small connector block as suggested and replace it with a 3 way choc bloc in a choc box. That way I can terminate the earth in the choc box and then have only the live and neutral continue to the light fitting.

I was going to remove the small connector block as suggested and replace it with a 3 way choc bloc in a choc box. That way I can terminate the earth in the choc box and then have only the live and neutral continue to the light fitting.
That's exactly what I was suggesting - or there are the more sophisticated variants available. Make sure you use a chock box which has clamps for all the cables, so that ther's no risk of them being pulled out of the connector block. It also need to be 'accessible' for inspection etc.- but I imagine it will, via the hole in the ceiling.

Kind Regards, John.

Perfect!
This fitting is upstairs so fully accessible from the attic.
I was contemplating a wagobox for the same light which will be fitted downstairs and only accessible via the hole in the ceiling as you say.
Many thanks :)

Perfect! This fitting is upstairs so fully accessible from the attic.
I was contemplating a wagobox for the same light which will be fitted downstairs and only accessible via the hole in the ceiling as you say.
Many thanks :)
You're welcome. That all sounds fine to me.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back