Another garden tap question. Tap is siezed and can't be drained down, still ok to isolate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I realise that garden tap questions are all the range this time of year but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I have just isolated mine under the sink but can get the actual tap to open to drain down. essentially I know have a volume of water in the pipework that is isolated at both sides, is there any issue with this?

It's the plastic hose type pipe that's been used (was one of those cheap, self cutting garden tap kits)

Edit: managed to unseize the tap. However noneater coming out at all when opening. Assume maybe frozen up inside the tap (been covered in a tap jacket for last few weeks and looks ok in terms of no frost etc on it).
Tried pouring warm water over the tap but no flow. Have currently left tap and internal isolator closed so same issue as before essentially)

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Water is held in the pipe and tap by vaccum once isolated. There should ideally be a drain cock . Undoing the union / joint to the tap would allow water to drain.

Water is held in the pipe and tap by vaccum once isolated. There should ideally be a drain cock . Undoing the union / joint to the tap would allow water to drain.
20221213_123938.jpg

Thanks for that. Above is what I'm working with, anything here as a drain point?

If the white handled valve is the supply to tap ,close it. Then undo the nut at the bottom where the feed to outside tap goes. With outside tap open( turned on) , water will drain ,have a bowl or a towel handy where you undo the nut.

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate.

Yeah white handle is supply to tap.
Out of interest, have you ever used these self cutting/self sealing kits before? I've been pretty wary since day 1 of interfering with it too much in case it causes a leak.

Also, any idea what the screw on the side is? I wondered if it was to allow air in
20221214_122243.jpg

Screw on side is for the non return valve ,leave that alone.
I don't fit those DIY efforts . Anything that cuts into a copper pipe and leaves a bit of cut copper inside the pipe is hardly inspiring !
You could of course undo the jubilee clip and pull off the hose ,show us a pic of tap outside.

Screw on side is for the non return valve ,leave that alone.
I don't fit those DIY efforts . Anything that cuts into a copper pipe and leaves a bit of cut copper inside the pipe is hardly inspiring !
You could of course undo the jubilee clip and pull off the hose ,show us a pic of tap outside.
Yeah that was my fear with this, that it's basically an easy but not very robust method of fitting a tap. In fairness it was my wifes hairbrained scheme.

Tap is below. Just in case there is any ice in the pipework (been -8 here for a few days) I've left the white handle isolated and the tap very slightly open. Once we've thawed out a bit I'll open the fitting to allow to drain, will likely wait till after Xmas though just in case anything goes wrong and I need a plumber, any particular issue with doing this?

Thanks for the comments btw
20221214_123501.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back