Another Hive Self Install Question???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been asked a 1000 times!!

BUT...

Iv gone and brought the self install hive theromostat kit to place the honeywell heating system.
Now going by the install videos on youtube i thourght it would be just a case of a straight swap another reson why i brought the dam thing.:mad:

So i replaced the honeywell programmer with the hive reciver.. Now i have 4 wires a blue for neutral, brown= live a black and a earth wire with brown tape, now im firstly shocked that someone has used the earth connductor as possably as a switch live but ok.

So with the honeywell wiring its blue for neutral, brown for live, earth with brown tape in 3 and black in 4.

I also disconnected the theromostat in which has a earth, blue, yellow & red.

After the hive setup even by turn up the heating to max 32 the radiators are still cold, im not hearing the bolier fire up but do have hot water from cold to hot in a space of a minute where as with the honeywell system the water was hot straight away.

Iv contacted hive and after fannying around trying to re-pair the hive kit still the same problem but under the honeywell programmer is what looks like a big junstion box with 10 terminal connecters (sorry dont know the technical name for it :D) would any changers be need to that? as iv just found another video explaining that but need to be sure.

IMG_0463.jpg
IMG_0469.jpg
IMG_0482.jpg
IMG_0472.jpg
IMG_0474.jpg

Sponsored Links
You should have a dual channel Hive receiver and it is a direct replacement for the Honeywell ST9400C.

The old thermostat should be decommissioned properly. It can't just be disconnected. Otherwise the heating wiring will be left 'open circuit' and the heating will not operate.

The wire should be traced from the old thermostat back to its origin. When you find the origin note where the wires are connected and remove the complete cable. Now insert a wire to link together the two terminals you have just removed the wires that go to the thermostat terminals 1 (red wire) and 3 (yellow wire) from so that they are joined together.

Alternatively if you put the old thermostat back as it was, you can test the installation by turning it up to its maximum setting before operating the Hive.

It's bad practice to use a green/yellow wire for anything other than an earth, but it's what a wire is connected to that determines its function not the colour of its insulation. A brown sleeve slipped over it would be better than insulation tape which can easily fall off.

Never assume that the colours of wires in a heating system mean anything, they dont

You should have a dual channel Hive receiver and it is a direct replacement for the Honeywell ST9400C.

The old thermostat should be decommissioned properly. It can't just be disconnected. Otherwise the heating wiring will be left 'open circuit' and the heating will not operate.

The wire should be traced from the old thermostat back to its origin. When you find the origin note where the wires are connected and remove the complete cable. Now insert a wire to link together the two terminals you have just removed the wires that go to the thermostat terminals 1 (red wire) and 3 (yellow wire) from so that they are joined together.

Alternatively if you put the old thermostat back as it was, you can test the installation by turning it up to its maximum setting before operating the Hive.

It's bad practice to use a green/yellow wire for anything other than an earth, but it's what a wire is connected to that determines its function not the colour of its insulation. A brown sleeve slipped over it would be better than insulation tape which can easily fall off.

So are you saying by having the old honeywell thermostat connected back + the hive receiver in place of the honeywell programmer i can test to see if the boiler fires up/radiators come on?. Also by chasing the cable back from the thermostat to the junstion box its connector block terminals 4 & 5 so by removing both yellow and red wires (Both from the thermostat) from the connector block, then create a small wire to link terminal block 4 & 5 together this will then trigger the boiler to turn on.

Im also considering if hive would swap the receiver for a dual channel Hive receiver as the kit is only 3 days old.

IMG_0474(1).jpg

Sponsored Links
So are you saying by having the old honeywell thermostat connected back + the hive receiver in place of the honeywell programmer i can test to see if the boiler fires up/radiators come on?. Also by chasing the cable back from the thermostat to the junstion box its connector block terminals 4 & 5 so by removing both yellow and red wires (Both from the thermostat) from the connector block, then create a small wire to link terminal block 4 & 5 together this will then trigger the boiler to turn on.

Im also considering if hive would swap the receiver for a dual channel Hive receiver as the kit is only 3 days old.

View attachment 223337

UPDATE: Hive wont authorise the swap due to not being sold directly from them... I carn't see argos doing this as its been open/used :mad::mad:

why did you think a single channel hive would work in the first place ? you could use the single channel hive to replace your room stat and use the existng programmer to control the HW and leave the heating on the existing programmer set to constantly on and the hive will over ride it

why did you think a single channel hive would work in the first place ? you could use the single channel hive to replace your room stat and use the existng programmer to control the HW and leave the heating on the existing programmer set to constantly on and the hive will over ride it

I don’t know for some reason I thought it was a single channel system.. lesson learnt I should’ve done the homework more.

Question you mention “You could use the single channel hive to replace your room stat” Do you mean replace the single channel hive receiver with the Honeywell thermostat?? And how would that wire in?, what wires would go to the hive receiver? Then also have the Honeywell programer in use.
49163EC9-7344-4D3B-A21D-8C28572F7566.jpeg

you will need a permanent live to the hive single channel, not Ideal but you could use the earth wire on the existing thermostat and sleeve it brown or red to indicate it as being live and trace it to the wiring centre and connect it to a live again sleeve it , then the neutral to neutral and the existing wires in 1&3 go to 1&3 on the hive,as said you will need to leave the prog set to constantly on at the heating side

If you did replace the existing thermostat with the single channel Hive receiver, the hot water will not be controlled by the Hive, that would still only work via the ST9400C.
This is why the ST9400C being a two channel programmer (1.Hot Water & 2.Central Heating) should be replaced with a two channel Hive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back