Replacing Honeywell CM707 with HIVE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, I've read many threads with others having issues with installing HIVE in place of Honeywell programmers. So following questions asked by others and investigating the behind of my programmer and the switch by the boiler i would just like to clarify I'm on the right path before ordering my HIVE.

My boiler is a Danfoss Gemina Termix VVX which connects to a district heating system within my apartment building so making sure it works with the hive firstly.

Secondly ive attached photos of either end of the wiring between the switch beneath the Danfoss and the backplate of the Honeywell.

There is a Brown attached to A on the Honeywell backplate.
There is a Black with a Brown Sleeve attached to B on the Honeywell backplate.
There is an unterminated Grey in the wall cavity behind the Honeywell backplate.
There is an unterminated Earth in the wall cavity behind the Honeywell backplate.

All the above come from a run of 4 core i can also see behind the switch beneath the Danfoss at the other end.

In the image of the Danfoss switch i can trace the other end of the cables listed above.

The Brown goes to the live terminal on the back of the switch plate.
The Black with Brown Sleeve is connected via terminal block to a brown wire which heads out of the bottom of the front of the switch plate and into the Danfoss unit (pic provided for clarity)
The Grey is unterminated and tucked in the back of the wall box
The Earth is terminated to the earthing on the back of the switch plate with all the other earths.

If my previous reading is correct the grey which is unattached at either end is needed for HIVE as it requires a common. The brown is the live and the black with brown sleeve is the switched live and the earth is earth.

So the big question is, where do i attach the grey at either end??

If anyone would mind advising and also checking my thoughts are correct in regards to my investigations that would be amazing,

Many thanks

David

Attachments

• Earth & Grey behind Honeywell Programmer.jpg
    Earth & Grey behind Honeywell Programmer.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 432
  • Switch beneath boiler.jpg
    Switch beneath boiler.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 381
  • Wiring on Honeywell Programmer Backplate.jpg
    Wiring on Honeywell Programmer Backplate.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 589
  • Danfoss Switch.jpg
    Danfoss Switch.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 411
Sponsored Links
You don't replace the Honeywell with the Hive receiver.

You fit the Hive near the boiler or wiring centre where all the wires required are available.

You don't replace the Honeywell with the Hive receiver.

You fit the Hive near the boiler or wiring centre where all the wires required are available.

Thanks EFLImpudence, so your saying that the HIVE receiver can be installed near the switch next to the boiler and be wired in there and i just fit the smart control where the old Honeywell was and retire the wiring in the walls between the two.

Sponsored Links
Did you figure this out? My wiring is similar in my new build. I have a cm907 I want to replace it with a Drayton wiser hub. Have w live, neutral, earth and grey wire cut off in the back of the thermostat box. Must be a way of getting that grey wire to provide what’s needed to power the hub? I want the hub in the hall where the old cm907 was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back