(Another) leaking rad valve question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a leaking rad valve on a radiator that will be torn out and replaced when I have building work done next year. So, I RTFF and found guidance on "packing the valve" with PTFE tape. However before I dive in and give this a go I have a few questions:

1. My valves are twin-entry micro-bore ones (see pic). Does the PTFE trick even work on this type of valve (Leak 1)?

2. When I undid the nut to test out the procedure I sprung a secondary leak around the nut itself (leak 2 in pic). I had to tighten it very aggressively to stop it dripping. Is this "normal" or should I do something else e.g. wrap the nut thread in PTFE / a bit of fernox?

3. Can a leak be "too bad" for this fix to work? If open the valve even a half-turn it literally sprays out (it's a gravity fed system too, so not much pressure). I have to close the valve very aggressively (with pliers) to stop it dripping.

Thanks
James

Attachments

• 20211129_131756.jpg
    20211129_131756.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 98
Sponsored Links
Few valves can be repacked to seal their spindles.
It probably uses o rings in which case a new valve is required.

Sponsored Links
When you undo that nut, you will spring a leak at leak point 2 and 1 unless the system is empty.

i successfully applied ptfe tape to the threads on the stuffing gland on the twin entry valves at my old house but did it with the system empty of course. This lasted me until I replaced the valves with conventional types about 2 years later. However as there are literally no spares available for these I’d leave well alone now since you’re replacing next year unless the leak is bad and can’t be managed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back