Another nest 3rd gen installation- sorry

Are those hive,nest,what ever they call themselves products being given away free these days ?

Everyone seems to be fitting them,some people even think their existing system is wired correctly. Do they include a help line or just say contact diynot.com....

Sponsored Links
Its a well known fact that central heating controls/wiring was originally done by trained chimps, 40 years later not much has changed so in fact anybody with a screwdriver and a wiring diagram can install hive/nest/whatever and are actually surprised when it turns out a tad more complicated than it looks, they can always ask on diymonkeys for guidance.

The sucess of Weather Compensation Sensors in reducing gas consumption has led to the development of another energy saving feature to be added into the control of domestic boilers.

This new and must have feature is Occupation Compensation. The number of people in the house and their physical activity will be monitored. For every body at rest or slightly active 100 watts will be deducted from the boiler's heat output setting. For active bodies 200 or more watts will be deducted.

Its a well known fact that central heating controls/wiring was originally done by trained chimps, 40 years later not much has changed so in fact anybody with a screwdriver and a wiring diagram can install hive/nest/whatever and are actually surprised when it turns out a tad more complicated than it looks, they can always ask on diymonkeys for guidance.

I've had to pick apart some doozies over the years - this was an electrician's effort at Evohome:

20160505_145028.jpg
20160505_145025.jpg
20160505_145340.jpg

Wish I had taken a finished shot - it wasn't much neater to be fair - but there was about a third of the wires left over :LOL: Bless.

Sponsored Links
Nest, and I expect the others certainly have a help line.

Although they may expect a certain basic level of competence before giving advise.

Otherwise it can be potentially dangerous playing with mains voltages.

This was a BG engineer:

20160406_120932.jpg

But to be fair to him, it was an abortion of a system, complete with Keston C40 grinding away in the next cupboard.

This was an interesting one.... Another botched Evo install I was parachuted in to sort out. Wiring was the least of the systems problems:

20160122_151029.jpg

20160122_151034.jpg

20160122_143008.jpg

Sooooo much easier in a nice lunchbox:

20141003_164120.jpg
20141003_155116.jpg

This was a BG engineer:

View attachment 117615

But to be fair to him, it was an abortion of a system, complete with Keston C40 grinding away in the next cupboard.

This was an interesting one.... Another botched Evo install I was parachuted in to sort out. Wiring was the least of the systems problems:

View attachment 117622

View attachment 117620

View attachment 117621

Sooooo much easier in a nice lunchbox:

View attachment 117627 View attachment 117628

At least one of those installs looks familiar (y)

Yes, but, people that have these boilers might be old themselves.
So what is the point of replacing the boiler if they are not going to benefit from the change
So...... New programmer gives instant saving without costing thousands
Be warned, no price quoting
It always amuses me to see someone connecting a state of the art control like the opentherm Nest Mk III onto an old and very inefficient boiler like a Netaheat !

The Netaheat is so old that it was included in the boiler scrappage scheme the Government offered a few years ago!

When I move the kitchen I will replace it, seems inefficient replace it and move it further down the line.

Glad you were amused though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back