Another new cooker wiring question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace my fitted cooker with a new cooker that requires a radial circuit (the old did not require one). I am more than happy carrying-out this work up to the point where the circuit requires connection to my consumer unit. The consumer unit is recently installed (new) and has available spaces for the circuit. Is connection of this circuit bound by legal requirements, or just common sense (ie. don't do it - get a pro in).

I have been quoted (admittedly, I have only got one quote so far) £350 for this work along with installation of 5-7 new sockets, relocation of a couple of exisitng sockets and light switches. I thought this was a bit steep, but is it a reasonable quote? I appreciate the costs that employing trained professionals requires etc etc. Just wanted to get an opinion based on this (limited I know) information I have given.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Well you can do it yourself but you would have to go down the road of informing building control of what you intend doing which can be expensive well over 100 pounds.

Now BC can also charge you the expense of getting all the work tested by a compentent person if they regard you as not being that, so that will cost you again.

350 pounds for the work you have outlined isn't bad really certainly a days work there, plus I assume the quote is for material, though you never said, and of course all the testing and certification.

You will, or should at any rate have the peace of mind that the work is done correctly and safely by a qualified sparks. As you said your CU was recently changed why not get the same sparks back. or did you get it changed and not go down the notification line!!!

Because it's a new circuit that's being installed, by law it needs to be notified to building controls.
This can be done by you or the electrician/person undertaking the work.
MalcofArabia has covered most of the stuff,
A fee will be charged by building controls and an application for the work must be made prior to work starting, an electrician that is a member of a domestic installers scheme can self certificates for this type of installation, but building controls will be informed by him via his scheme provider that the work has been carried out.
Check the link
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back