Another Pension rise

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
"The state pension is set to rise by 8.5%, while plans for a 'pension pot for life' will be developed"

Gosh, that seems like a lot. There must be an election on the way.

But it only tries to catch up the inflation that has already eroded the value of money.

Because tax allowances have been frozen, many pensioners will lose a wedge of it in income tax. So falling behind inflation.

I expect hard-working MPs and their families will get something similar.

Hard-working nurses and hospital doctors, maybe not.

Sponsored Links
Punish the nhs workers and reward /bribe pensioners, what’s not to like.

"Then between 2015 and 2017, a fixed 1% pay rise was implemented – the well-known ‘pay cap’. From 2018 to end of March 2021 The New Pay Deal was implemented where salaries across the board increased over a 3 year period. In July 2021, a 3% pay rise was announced for NHS nurses, followed by a similar increase in 2022"

That'll have them cheering again.

Sponsored Links
"The state pension is set to rise by 8.5%, while plans for a 'pension pot for life' will be developed"

Gosh, that seems like a lot. There must be an election on the way.

But it only tries to catch up the inflation that has already eroded the value of money.

Because tax allowances have been frozen, many pensioners will lose a wedge of it in income tax. So falling behind inflation.

I expect hard-working MPs and their families will get something similar.

Hard-working nurses and hospital doctors, maybe not.
if you think off it iff the tax allowance kept up with inflation i would not pay tax as my pension would be a few hundred below the£12 500 so my 10.1% this year is only actually 8% and next year will be 6.8%

if you think off it iff the tax allowance kept up with inflation i would not pay tax as my pension would be a few hundred below the£12 500 so my 10.1% this year is only actually 8% and next year will be 6.8%
A cunning trick to increase tax while pretending not to.

The state pension rises by the amount of inflation in the previous September IIRC

It’s nothing to do with electioneering

And it’s worth noting that this inflation figure is also applied to civil service pensions too

The state pension rises by the amount of inflation in the previous September IIRC

It’s nothing to do with electioneering

And it’s worth noting that this inflation figure is also applied to civil service pensions too
its the personal allowance not being increased that has drawn me into the tax system
i had actually chose a slightly smaller percentage off my railway pension pre pension age to allow maximum when state pension kicked in without reaching a tax band but off course that was my choice to try and give maximum comfort for the pot i had :)

I’m aiming to retire very soon so an increase of the tax threshold will help me until my state pension kicks in at 67

But it seems both of the big parties aren’t expecting to increase this level

Punish the nhs workers and reward /bribe pensioners, what’s not to like.

Junior Doctors got 8.8% with the guarantee of a further 3% now, nurses got 5% plus a 'backlog bonus' equating to a minimum of £1250.
Junior Docs are still striking holding out for a 35% rise. Pensioners getting 8.5%.

The only figure that seems untoward is the Junior Docs demanding 35%.
Fair enough, **** off to Australia or America and earn double the money then, it's easy isn't it?

Well, until you look a little more closely. Ellal's entire extended family were leaving the UK and the NHS over Brexit, it would appear they didn't.

Junior Doctors got 8.8% with the guarantee of a further 3% now, nurses got 5% plus a 'backlog bonus' equating to a minimum of £1250.
Junior Docs are still striking holding out for a 35% rise. Pensioners getting 8.5%.

The only figure that seems untoward is the Junior Docs demanding 35%.
Fair enough, **** off to Australia or America and earn double the money then, it's easy isn't it?

Well, until you look a little more closely. Ellal's entire extended family were leaving the UK and the NHS over Brexit, it would appear they didn't.
i dont see a problem with hammering home 35% all they are saying this is what we lost and wouldnt it be nice to be respected and given recognition and a bit more than you are offering
i reckon about 25% off the nhs budget goes on churn and training 'overtime'agency'and bed blocking, so paying another say 5% -10%to the disenchanted would save about 15% on the overall budget

and yes my actual percentages may be wildly out but a decent pay increase and respect will always save far more than it costs in the long run when you have desperate shortages and expensive training involved

Last edited:
and wouldnt it be nice

It would for all of us, but realistic?
i reckon about 25% off the nhs budget goes on churn and training 'overtime'agency'and bed blocking, so paying another say 5% -10%to the disenchanted would save about 15% on the overall budget

Taking the 'bed blocking' to one side, which is a problem and not just at NHS level, lack of Council funding comes into it, it has become clear that no amount of money 'thrown' at the NHS will cure the current problems, even senior people in the Labour Party concur.

We all like to think that the NHS is the best healthcare model in the world, if it was, other countries would have tried to emulate it, none have.

please note i did edit my post but not for any other reason to make it clearer before i looked at your post above so any changes are genuine and not in reaction to your post above i am just saying in case it looks like it in reaction to what you have posted above when its unconnected

Sponsored Links
Back