Another question about asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all just renovating our new home and the lounge has asbestos flu in the chimney stack

Am wondering if this will be safe to use for the new gas fire or will I just be better off not using it and getting someone in to either remove and start again and just seal it off and forget about the whole idea

Sponsored Links
It will normally be safe to use if it is in good condition and joints are sound and it functions as a flue - ie passes the commissioning tests.

But the issue is probably more to do with whether a gas engineer can safely work on the flue when installing and servicing the fire, rather than the fact that the flue is asbestos.

I think he will be fine but am not a gas engineer my chimney is on the outside of the house but the flu kind of goes right and then up I don't know far up it goes

He was thinking of having a base at the bottom and pooring concrete down from the whole and bricking back up this way carbon monoxide from the fire won't come back into the house but go up the flu and out the chimney

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 114
Sponsored Links
I believe it had an old back boiler which later then got converted to a combi system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back