Another risky project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
lol! Only kidding.

I simply want to know if it would be possible for an electrician (ie NOT me!) to run some of those simple lights you get in wooden decking from a ring main.

The nearest cable that I know of to the decking is a power point in the wall. Can this be used to power lights outside?

Or does the power have to come from a lighting circuit?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If I go shopping for them, then, how would I recognise 'ELV' and 'wall-wart'?

I don't want to limited by the choice of the electrician, but would like to go to different shops, ie B+Q, Focus etc.

Sponsored Links
Your concern is if the lighting plugs in via a plug top transformer, although this isnt impossibe to get around.

Probably sounds best to go shopping and just get the electrician to put them in. This way I can control what we end up with.

Thanks.

ELV is 12/24v and wall warts are those big black boxes that plug in ie; a large mobile charger. Some lights may have a small plug on the end of the wire that can go through a small hole in the wall(being sealed afterwards)

Thanks for that - so if I got a power point (a proper weather IP one) installed on the outside of the house, could I plug these so-called 'ELV' lights into that?

If so, then I'd be able to use that power point for other stuff like lawn more etc.?

Depends if the transformer is rated for use outside - most are not, and need to be enclosed or used inside.

Thanks for that - so if I got a power point (a proper weather IP one) installed on the outside of the house, could I plug these so-called 'ELV' lights into that?
No, because NO IP rated sockets will seal around a wall-wart.

Hang on! So what you're saying is that I could just drill a hole in the wall, remove the plug from an extension socket of say three or four sockets, pass the cable through from outside (via this sealed box), re-attach the plug and plug into a socket inside the house?

¡No need for an electrician!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back