answered without picking up phone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a weird problem, the phone answers itself. It rings once or twice and without picking up the phone it is answered. It is ok at the master socket but the minute the extension socket is reconnected it happens again. Dont want to rip out the cable to replace it if i dont have to. any ideas

Sponsored Links
do you have a ringing tone

what i am thinking is its wrongly wired and it thinks you are engaged so goes strait to answering machine

We have a dial tone and you can make and recieve calls. Problem is the phone only rings once, no more. If the phone is plugged into the master socket it is fine.

ring trip occurring due to faulty extension wiring.

disconnect the extenson wiring from the line and insulation-test each wire to every other, and to earth.

Sponsored Links
Got a weird problem, the phone answers itself. It rings once or twice and without picking up the phone it is answered. It is ok at the master socket but the minute the extension socket is reconnected it happens again. Dont want to rip out the cable to replace it if i dont have to. any ideas

Bet my bottom dollar you have a rectified loop on extension socket or wiring......get a multi meter to check

As others have said its probably your extension wiring (also check the extension socket for damp / corrosion).

If your checking the extensions causing the problem by taking the faceplate of the master but cant see anything wrong with the extension then check the faceplate as well... I spent a good hour trying to trace a fault one day for it to turn out to be the copper pins in the socket on the faceplate had corroded. It worked without the faceplate and extensions, didn't work with them and I never considered the face plate and assumed it was the extensions...

David.

Having two master sockets will increase the risk of a ring trip as there are two capacitors in circuit. Among other things the capacitor limits the current when the "bell" is ringing. Two capacitors can mean the ringing current is ncreased to the point that the exchange sees it as Off Hook current. ( simplified explanation avoiding the complexities of AC impedances etc etc ).

It also means the routine automatic line testing may show the line as faulty as the capacitor and the resistor are used for line testing purposes. Normally these partial faults are ignored but if you make a request for a service call for problem with the line then any record of a partial fault may be noticed and may affect the response to your call.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back