antivirus 360 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my mates computer has got infected with antivirus 360 after he stupidly clicked on a link thinking it was related to avg free,it redirects on the internet so downloading removal spyware is not possible,its also nowhere to be found in the programmes list and its not allowing system restore to fuction properly
has anyone any tips on removal?
i rebooted in safe mode and tried system restore but it still seems to be in control there too

Sponsored Links
A system restore won't get rid of a virus.

Start in safe mode with networking, go into Control Panel>System click on the System Restore tab and check the box to turn off system restore, connect to the internet and run the likes of Bitdefender - free online scan. This is what I ran when my brother got a virus on his computer and it cleared it off no problem.

Once you've done that, go back into System and uncheck the system restore box.

DO NOT TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE

If anything goes wrong whilst trying to clean your mates computer you will have nowhere to go back to and so a duff computer.
Better a contaminated restore point than none at all.
dave

Sponsored Links
DO NOT TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE

If anything goes wrong whilst trying to clean your mates computer you will have nowhere to go back to and so a duff computer.
Better a contaminated restore point than none at all.
dave

Really? I hope I don't sound like I'm being argumentative cos I'm not - just asking................

When we had a virus I was told that I needed to turn off system restore because if the virus was in the system files, it would just keep coming back on the restore point.

As your mate cannot get onto the internet, you will have to use your computer to download Malwarebytes from:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Use the green download button for the free version.
Save to your desktop, then plug a USB memory stick in and drag the mbam_setup.exe to the memory stick.

Boot your mates computer into safe mode and when running plug in the memory stick and run the installer for Malwarebytes.
As you cannot update,run a full scan as it is when installed.
Let it remove EVERYTHING it finds.
Reboot into normal mode and check the internet.
If it is now connecting, open Malwarebytes, check for updates and run another full scan.
That should clean out any leftovers from the infection.

Run the PC for a couple of houirs and if all is OK purge the System restore to remove all restore points including any with a snapshot of the infection. Turn SR off. Reboot. Turn SR back on. Then set a new restore point.

dave

Alison,
This may explain System Restore and the logic for keeping it during clearing an infection.
System restore is simply a collection of snapshots of your system at different times, eg. when you install software or when new hardware is installed. It also sets a restore point periodically, and you can make a restore point anytime you wish.
If it takes a snapshot and you have a virus on your PC at the time, the snapshot will include a picture of the virus.
Scanning software can detect that the snapshot has a picture of the virus but cannot delete it from the picture.
If you have removed the active virus from your PC and you are certain that it is clean and running OK then turning off System Restore dumps all the snapshots including the picture with the virus snap included.
If you had done a restore using any restore point after you had contracted the virus then you would have been putting the picture of the system (including the virus) back into action on your hard drive and so you would be just as contaminated as before you had removed the original virus.

The reason for keeping SR turned on, even knowing that it has at least one snapshot which includes the virus, is that if anything goes wrong whilst trying to remove the virus with SAS or other program and you end up with a dead computer, you do still have a restore point to try to get back to and when you do, you can start all over again removing the virus.
Better to have an infected backup than no backup at all.

dave

Thanks Dave - I'm with you now. What I was told was basically back to front then - hmph bloody TechGuys.............................. :rolleyes: :LOL:

booted up in safe mode and used the memory stick to try and install malaware but no joy,the computer doesnt respond when trying to open the setupfile,file opens ok on a laptop im using so the antivirus must be blocking it,i think a restore may be in order :cry:

As for the comments by softus,
if you cannot come up with anything constructive to help, stay out of it.

I can't be bothered to get into an arguement, but Softus is correct with regard to system restore. I do however agree with agree with Daves suggestion of using Malwarebytes. I would also download Hijackthis and post a log when you have finished to see if anything is left. Downloading / running CCleaner wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I have to agree with the "Turn off system restore" camp. In fact, I wouldn't use it at all, but that's another story.

Again, I would agree that Free Malbytes is good for a one off cleanup

Sponsored Links
Back