Any advice? ((job interview))

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi lads (and ladies)

After searching long and far for the past year, I have finally got an interview for a plumbing apprenticeship with a local council after passing their initial assesment day.

It means everything to me to get this job and it may be the only chance I get, so I want to maximize my chances of getting the job.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me, or anyone with experience of being in an hour long interview could offer me some advice?

Thanks very much in advance!

Sponsored Links
Got a few mates who interview youngsters for jobs and they say the biggest problem is they grunt at them turn up scruffy and show no get up and go.

So shirt and trousers and washed (stand out from the rest and be noticed) speak clearly and to the persons face and dont be frightened to ask questions .
Make it clear you actually want the job and its not just one of many you may have applied for

If asked how you think something works dont just say i dont know .
Yes say you dont know but then go on to say you think it may work like this or like that it shows you are prepared to think about things and work it out. Even if your wrong.
Its all about selling yourself above the countless other candidates

The interviewer will make the decision within the first few minutes so first impressions are what count. No matter how strongly you feel about freedom of expression, cover any tattoos, remove facial ironmongery and have a good wash and shave. Some clean reasonably formal clothes and if possible a document wallet containing any bits of paper you might need, will go a long way to showing that you're a tidy and organised person who is capable of delivering value for the wage they are offering. Research the place and get there well before the time so as to be cool, calm and collected. Think of a few questions you want to ask - after all, you are interviewing them as much as they you. Be pleasant, polite and direct, talk in sentences which have a beginning and an end and don't be afraid to leave a few moments of silence; they are the dangerous moments when you might find yourself stating the obvious or waffling because you feel you should be saying something. Don't be over-casual or crack jokes, if necessary address people as Sir or Madam if you don't know their name and NEVER address the interviewers as "you guys".

(Just a few points from a lifetime of sizing people up)

Sponsored Links
Namsag has the best advice, When my son went for a similar interview I insisted he wear a suit, he grumbled and moaned and after the interview said everyone else wore jeans & trainers. He got the job.

Good luck

Don't say " Yeah Innit." as an answer to every question. For example. " Why do you want to be a plumber?"
"Well,,yeah, it's a trade innit man."

Nah seriously, though. Before the interview, think of some questions you'd like to ask them. They will invariably ask you if you have any questions. It wont necessarily be why do you want to be a plumber. They may ask why you want to work for the council. They might ask you where you see yourself in 5 or 10 yrs time.

Dress smartly, suit and tie, nicely polished shoes.
Relax, speak clearly, be confident.
Best of luck. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Thanks everyone, all excellent advice and I can assure you it's all been taken on board!

Can`t you ask your Aunt Claire , Rayner ;)

Having interviewed a few youngsters, the advice above is all good stuff.
Look clean, clothes & body
Look at the person who is talking to you & look at them when you reply, try not to reply yes or no, even if you ask what may be obvious, dont ask a question what you have just been given an answer to.
Dont ask about ££ to early.

If you dont get the job ask why, it may help later, I didnt get a job once, as I was asked what I did saturdays, I said played golf, it later transpired they said they couldnt employ me as I was not available on a saturday

Hi lads (and ladies)

We have many lads, but where did you get the idea that we have ladies on this forum?

A couple of tarts and the odd slapper, but no ladies.

JML is now running, ducking and diving... :LOL:

Not sure if anyone else has said it, but council's are focused on your experience with your chosen trade more than anything else. Even if you don't have any, talk about when you helped your dad fit some new radiators and your new bathroom suite, and how he always gets you to replace the washers in taps that are leaking etc.. ;)

I am in the same position as you, I am going for an apprenticeship straight at level 3 to finish my apprenticeship. Got a phone call today asking for my current employers info for references, if all checks out I got it :)

Good luck buddy.

Sponsored Links
Back