Any experience in working with steel?

My theory was to use this "bed" to take all the supporting of the car's weight and just to evenly spread the load throughout.
I was also going to use 8ft loading ramps which are self supporting and use "legs" to hold up the rear of the trailer while loading

What were you planning to tow this with?

Sponsored Links
Using a modern Alko chassis, is I think a really bad idea. They are very lightweight, intended to have some support from the box of the caravan, and because of the light design - Alko prohibit any welding or drilling of the chassis at all, anywhere. To even jack a caravan up with an Alko, special brackets have to be bought and clamped to the chassis, otherwise the chassis will simply bend.

I thought the same when designing the bed, I went through many design considerations before choosing the most simple one (see pic below). but came to the thought of if the bed is able to support the weight of the car +a few 100kg more it should be deemed acceptable enough to be 'safe' and not send a car rolling down the m5 at 60mph

1682536021124.png

Sponsored Links
Tow limit is 3500Kg, so seems OK.

The main risk is the max weight the single axle can hold I believe, which is 1300kg.

*Im not trying to prove you wrong btw, your input is very much appreciated, as I have no background in this at all :/
** The pic above isn't the design im going for, just a design i thought about.

I think that can vary, based on the actual chassis model, up to 1600Kg.

Oh brilliant! I'm going to be putting a e46 BMW 3 series which weighs 1400kg
Yes I know 1400 and a 100kg bed is more than 1300 but 15.38461538461538% over weight isn't so bad xD

Are you able to date the frame? It originally was being towed by a T reg but I think it is somewhere in the region of 2008?
Once again, Thank you very much for your input! It's always nice having a second opinion on these things

This thread is madness surely, making a car trailer out of an old caravan chassis to save a few bucks, surely there are all-sorts of rules and regulations for this?

Alko axles have a plate (rear central area of the tube) stating the capacity. Your completed trailer is likely to weigh 250kg plus empty. Carrying a substantial flat bed and a car weighing 1.4 tonnes on that chassis and axle is dangerous.

This thread is madness surely, making a car trailer out of an old caravan chassis to save a few bucks, surely there are all-sorts of rules and regulations for this?

You would think so! but if its pre 2012 and you haven't modified you don't need to do a IVA (basically an MOT)

(dont hold me to that)

Alko axles have a plate (rear central area of the tube) stating the capacity. Your completed trailer is likely to weigh 250kg plus empty. Carrying a substantial flat bed and a car weighing 1.4 tonnes on that chassis and axle is dangerous.

Yep the holes where one should be are there, but no Id plate. The long term plan is to gut the car and put another axle in.

I agree!

Guessing I've got to plonk another axle in!

I can't contribute any more to this topic, but I think the knowledge and expertise given by various guys here just shows what this forum is all about......whatever the outcome may be.
I can't see how an extra axle can be planted in, looking at the middle photo of Bens though, unless it's not applicable to this chassis.
John :)

If I've got this right, you intend putting the car on top of the wheels? Most purpose built car trailers have the bed in between the whee ls. To get the weight as low as possible .

I have to agree with it being better to buy 1 and sell it on when no longer needed and get all your money back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back