I'm not reluctant to talk to them at all (when have I actually said that)? We're in the very early stages and haven't yet spoken with the SE, I'm just getting as much information as I can before we talk to the SE about this and other elements of the project (why would I speak to an architect about steel beam lateral restraints and flange width? I've had plenty of conversations with him about placement of skylights and how to ensure the room doesn't overheat in the summer though).

Call this research, this is one (of many) resources I'm using so that I at least know a little about what I am being told. If I do employ the wrong architect and SE, then by doing my research in advance I will at least know that this is the case. If I don't do the research, if I don't ask the questions, then how would I know either way?

It's a bit odd that you're coming on to a help forum, to effectively say, "don't go asking questions on this forum and asking for help or advice".

Your doing the right thing. I could have saved a lot of time and stress if i’d have done some research on my loft conversion rather than leaving it to a ‘professional’.

Sponsored Links
why would I speak to an architect about steel beam lateral restraints and flange width?
Why not if you are concerned about the impact on the design :?: Architects are concerned with technical details as well as the initial scheme design.
'I'm not reluctant to talk to them at all (when have I actually said that)? ' - I was just going on your comments :-
'Of course, but then it wouldn't be impossible to imagine that some professionals may not like being questioned, some may even be a little patronising.'
'It's a bit odd that you're coming on to a help forum, to effectively say, "don't go asking questions on this forum and asking for help or advice". ' - I didn't say that .
'One other concern I have is that the house is quite high up in the pennines and is exposed at the back. I'd expect this will be taken into account, but to what extent will this impact any design?' - why would you not discuss this sort of thing with your architect who is already on board, familiar with your site, and designing the extension for you , that is all I am saying.
Of course people come on here with queries and I have always tried to help if I know the answers.

One other concern I have is that the house is quite high up in the pennines and is exposed at the back.
I think some of my previous comments might have seemed a bit harsh so ,yes, your location will most likely be rated as a severe exposure area which will need to be considered in the design/construction.
You can see a map in NHBC Standards which can be viewed online. You will also be able to see various diagrams etc which might help you understand the things to be considered for good building construction ( although that could raise more queries than it answers :!:) even if NHBC are not involved in your particular project.

From experience of a couple I've done in exposed sites in the Pennines, the chief concern is rain penetration. Full-fill
cavity batts are not usually acceptable in these exposures, so its a case of leaving a good-width clear cavity, and PIR insulation
against the inner skin - maybe some internally as well.

Sponsored Links
The SE will specify the beam(s) to prevent buckling. You can either do it one wide-flange beam, or two separate beams.

Thanks everyone for some good detail here. It's all helping me gather a better view on on what's involved. Tony, I just want to dig a bit deeper on your comment about specifying a single wide flange beam. So specifying two shallower 'H' beams (albeit with potentially more flange spilling out at the sides) is equally acceptable?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back