any guidance on re-painting victorian window railings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, 1880s victorian house.
window railings, paint is peeling and rust appearing.

I've had a quick go with a b&d powerfile sander, seems okay.

just any advice on what to prime and paint with, and how much of the rust marks I really need to get rid of.

View media item 76575 View media item 76576 View media item 76577any idea what type of metal it is likely to be?

also, the sander is working less well on the wrought iron gates/railings at the front, any suggestions on what other options might be?
View media item 76578
thanks in advance. :)

Sponsored Links
For best results use a rust killer such as Hammerite Kurust (pink liquid that turns black after its job is done).
After that its a brushing primer then enamel paint, or a xylene based product such as Hammerite - which is really best sprayed on.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Kurust or Jenolite Gel - it's phosphoric acid. Follow exactly as per instruction and you'll end up with a nice dark grey passivated coating over which you can then use "red oxide" or Zinc rich primer. I buy mine from a local agricultural shop, a 1 litre in is so very heavy due to all the lovely metal contained within! Zinc 182 is a reasonable substitute if that's all you can find.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back