Any help with a dead nightstore heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with where to start repairing a cold nightstore heater labelled 'Electrical Industrial of Ireland Ltd' , 2.7kw. The heater is connected to a fused spur and the fuse has been checked to be OK.
Where to next?? and is it worth it? as the heaters in this flat must be well over 20 years old.... :confused:

Sponsored Links
Do you have any more storage heaters in the flat, or is it just the one?
Economy 7 should have a seperate fusebox fitted, wired to a timer that turns the whole box on at the right time..
Each night storage heater, should be wired up to a seperate fuse in the box, one fuse per heater. Check the fuse in the fuse box.
If you have other heaters that are also not working, then it's probably the time clock thats failed, and not switching to economy 7 at the predetermined time
The spur it's connected to should only be 'live' for about 7 hours per night. You could try wiring up a table lamp to the spur, to see if that turns on at all during the 24 hour period.

***Be very careful when playing about with these sockets/spurs. The economy 7 time switch can throw on at any time (not necessarily at night)
and a dead socket one minute, can be VERY much alive the next****
You ask my Dad :oops:
Hope this is of some use to you. I am only DIY, not a qualified sparks, but I'm confident that the information is accurate...
good luck.
flashbang

Be very careful with Night Storage heaters, especially old ones. Many Old ones have asbestos in them!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back