Creda night storage heater not working - help !!

You need to test the fuse with it removed from the CU.

If all the other fuses are in, and the heaters switched on, your tester may show continuity across the fuse you are testing when there isn't really any.

Sponsored Links
For diagnosis only I would temporarily connect the E7 live and neutral wires in the same terminals as the wires to the heater (ie bypass the switch), secure it in the wall aperature and come back after the off peak period and see if the heater is warm.

I wonder if the switch leaf spring is relaxing over time after the switch is moved. You tested the switch by using a plugged-in supply, so you would have done the work with the switch off. You would then have operated the switch and the spring would flip over and the circuit is made. However, maybe an hour or so later the spring could have relaxed and opened the contacts.....just a passing thought. Good luck

For diagnosis only I would temporarily connect the E7 live and neutral wires in the same terminals as the wires to the heater (ie bypass the switch), secure it in the wall aperature and come back after the off peak period and see if the heater is warm.

I wonder if the switch leaf spring is relaxing over time after the switch is moved. You tested the switch by using a plugged-in supply, so you would have done the work with the switch off. You would then have operated the switch and the spring would flip over and the circuit is made. However, maybe an hour or so later the spring could have relaxed and opened the contacts.....just a passing thought. Good luck

Yes - that's a possibility, and indeed a good idea, will try by-pasing the switch and putting the live & neutral in the same terminals on the switch in effect bypassing the switch mechanism - thanks Kev RF - yep, I did indeed take the cartridge out of the CU to test the fuse, even took the cartridge out of its holder, it was in nice and tight. Many thanks to you guys for your help. Me thinks the answer lies in the switch. Delighted to report i'm off to the Canaries tomorrow for 3 weeks and as my new tenant moves in this coming Friday I will only go to the house if he says "Mr Landlord - my night storage heaters doesn't work". Please feel free to contribute any more thoughts on this problem whilst i'm lying on the beach !! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Sorry to respark an old thread but this sounds very similar to an issue I'm having and I figured it may save creating a new one.

My link fuse had literally melted. I replaced it but still no luck.

Did you ever find a solution?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back