1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Any idea of how to remove these fittings?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by The Mrs, 13 Dec 2016.

1. The Mrs

The Mrs

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Dear all,

my husband and I are currently in the process of renovating our kitchen, and along the way have experienced a number of 'surprises', the pipework under the sink being no exception!
    We thought the pipework might be fairly easy to remove, as it looks like the pipes are connected with push fittings- however they are impossible to remove. We are not sure if it is because the fitting have ceased because of all the gunge around the pipe, or if it is because it isn't a push fit. Either way we would really appreciate some advice!
    In addition, we ultimately would like to connect a tap with flexi-tails to this pipe. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to do it?
    Many thanks,
    The Mrs WP_20161213_09_18_12_Pro.jpg WP_20161213_09_18_27_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not all push fittings are demountable, but those ones look to be......so long as you can push the outer collet inwards they should come free - that's the white bit at the end.
    Personally I'd bite the bullet and do the whole lot in copper.....using compression fittings such as Conex if draining and soldering is an issue.
    There looks to have been a few leaks around at some stage!
    John :)

3. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Those are crappy old speed fit fittings, and whilst technically removable, will leak like a sieve if you try.

Cut it out and do it properly.

Last edited: 13 Dec 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Mrs

The Mrs

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Great! Thank you very much for your response!
    We have tried pushing the 'white bit at the end', but it doesn't budge, so I think we might need to bite the bullet as you suggested.
    As for a few leaks, haha! A few is not the right quantifier! The floor under the sink was so damp, that when I went to remove the hardy board flooring that was down under it, I needed a scraper to remove it :)

5. AGAS

AGAS

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    push the white collar with two or three fingers ;) around the pipe , no good with just the one finger :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. slippyr4

slippyr4

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    or press it with the faces of a 15mm spanner, that helps, if you've not got the right "tool"

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. The Mrs

The Mrs

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Great, thanks again! All in all it sounds like it is going to be a good project for the weekend:D

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local