Any idea where I can get..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a spotlight that can be adjusted to light a picture, ie throw a square light beam onto a wall? I have looked everywhere, and they are all bog-standard round spots. They can do this in the theatre - can I get a mini theatre style light to do the job?

Any pointers welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Iggifier... I will take a look. Not sure if it will cast a square of light, but can always try!

We use profiles in theatre so we can shape the beam . Shopfitters use smaller ones which may be suitable for a domestic setting. You would probably have to mount it a reasonable distance from the picture to get the beam spread right.

Sponsored Links
do you know of a suitable light fitting for domestic use that can take a profile? I assume it will need a slot in front of the lamp?

Bear in mind that many halogen spotlights require a clearance distance of at least 0.5metre from any surface.

If you are thinking of the halogen route you'll need to plan your startegy with some care!

Illuma used to do round spotlights and you buy whats known as "Barn Doors" which fit on them.
Most were Track mount but some had an optional surface base

RF - great lights - but had not appreciated just how expensive!! I will need two - so may not be feasible for what I am looking for. Great light though!

I saw them at a trade show earlier this year, and they are really good!

I don't dare look up how much they are :eek:

Is there glass over the picture?

If so you will need to factor around this to avoid reflection/glare.

the pictures are originals - no glass. Which is why I don't want to use picture light, coz too close to the picture and heat/light might damage. But finding a light that can frame a picture from about 2m is impossible!

I have a couple of picture lights on two other walls - very slim line, and look great. The two other pictures are on a chimney breast, and running power cables to them will be difficult due to the design of the house. The pictures are acrylic, and provided the light source is low UV should be fine at about 2m. Just got to find the light, that is all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back