Any issues with replacing the syphon in 'old' Twyfords WC?

Sorry - newbie. Wont do it again. :oops:

remember to act as if your back at school when you come on here.
1224.gif

Sponsored Links
Please don't fit a Torbeck!

If there's one thing I've learnt from these forums, it's don't fit a Torbeck :D

Decided on a Fluidmaster Pro45B, and a Fluidmaster Dual-Flush.

Thanks for all the help.

Why do you want to change them? You should be able to repair any faults.

Sponsored Links
Because it's noisy filling up (and we have a young daughter in the bedroom next to the bathroom), and I want to shift to internal overflow (for a few reasons, too boring and - probably - too silly) to go into here.

Sure - I could do various bits to address those factors without probably spending more than a few pounds. However, I have almost a phobia about mucking around with parts of the house associated with water (i.e. that I'll get it wrong), so I'd rather spend a bit more and get it done properly so I don't have to worry about it.

Bring the cistern into the plumber's merchant and then you can be sur of what combination of valves / siphons will fit inside without clashing.

Flappers are rubbish. They are dependent on the seal, which gets contaminated and then lets by - a constant dribble down the pan.

The dual-flush I'm going for is a drop version, rather than a flapper, so hopefully thoes sorts of problems wont rear their heads.

Thanks to everyone for their answers.

I had the predecessor of the Macdee Arcadia which had around a 90% success rate in flushing. It was not a good design, tending to stick so water continued to dribble into the pan. When I eventually identified the manufacturer as Macdee, which wasn't easy, I was able to swap it over in minutes for the Arcadia which is a massive improvement. Getting an Arcadia required ordering online where carriage can be as much as the item. From this thread I've learned that the Fluidmaster drop valve which is readily available at B&Q is a copy of the Arcadia. Are the twist and fit connectors exactly the same in size and design making them completely interchangeable? If so what happened to copyright?
:confused:

I'm not sure about that being such a good idea. I reckon that's where the plumber who installed my bathroom got the toilet. The seat was something the Pound Shop would be reluctant to stock and the flush valve was rubbish. If you need a new seat and cistern fittings, which you might need a professional to install, that bargain could become quite dear. Often you get what you pay for.

Get a bog with a separate pan & "low level" cistern. Fit a traditional flush siphon, perhaps a Derwent type that allows you to change the plastic diaphragm without draining the cistern.

Toilet setup like this will last 100 years and easy to service, repair. If you don't want to see too much of it, box in the cistern and the back of the pan with a removable box / panels.

From this thread I've learned that the Fluidmaster drop valve which is readily available at B&Q is a copy of the Arcadia. Are the twist and fit connectors exactly the same in size and design making them completely interchangeable?

yep
LAB which is chinese also made one exactly the same. :rolleyes:

B&Q also had a version for their own toilets, that was a B208 later changed to the B228.

Thanks, the B208 must be the one which caused customers so many problems. It looked mint when I binned it but the dual flush button seemed of doubtful design. Hopefully, the manufacturers of modern flush mechanisms are getting their act together. Old fashioned toilets never seemed to need any maintenance.

Cholma, i'm not trying to hijack you're thread but i'm in the same situation as you, i need to replace the syphon (think thats what its called) 'cause we have to repeatedly pump the handle to get a flush, even then it dont work. My question is, how does a syphon connect to the bottom of the systern, the systern sits right on the pan and i dont see any connector betwix pan & systern??
Or, can i repair existing syphon which has "Twyfords 02" writen on the top? Also dont see any overflow pipe!!
Cheers fella's.

'cause we have to repeatedly pump the handle to get a flush, even then it dont work.

thats cause in the base of the syphon is a diaphragm and yours is split.
55512_m.jpg

My question is, how does a syphon connect to the bottom of the systern, the systern sits right on the pan and i dont see any connector betwix pan & systern??

look under your cistern you'll see 2 wingnuts 1 eachside they are what holds the cistern to the pan.
you'll need to isolate the water supply to the cistern, empty cistern, then you can remove the cistern.
you'll also have 2 screws holding the cistern to the wall inside.
cistern_2.jpg

is your cistern/pan one with the twyfords accelerator attatched ?
twyford_n_acc_kit.jpg

Or, can i repair existing syphon which has "Twyfords 02" writen on the top? Also dont see any overflow pipe!!
Cheers fella's.

you can fit a new diaphragm or fit a complete new syphon.
overflow is more likely an internal one. if no external pipe.

just be careful when splitting the cistern/pan as it may need a new do-nut washer fitted if the two have been together a number or yrs.

imagesfgg.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back