Any mig welders here? need helmet recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a very amateur DIY welder, (underbody patches on cars etc with a little 100 amp DIY gas mig unit) and I decided to treat myself to an auto darkening helmet after years of struggling with a crap 30 year old hand me down. I don't really want to spend any more than £50 as I don't weld that much but I wanted something that would be sold and reliable bearing in mind it's protecting my sight.

Could anyone point me in the direction of some decent units? I've seen Expert Weld and Rhino helmets get good reviews but they only seem to sell on Amazon and don't seem to have a website of their own which worries me.

Sponsored Links
Check out the welders warehouse mate, they have what you need. Get a helmet that is lens adjustable (most are) but also one which has speed and ambient light adjustment. Some of the cheap rubbish darken fine but take an age to lighten again. They also darken too quickly if you even look up from the work. I smashed my WW lid and bought an Aldi one. Bin material!
John :)

Thanks John, I had a look at that site but they only seem to have a couple of helmets and only 1 in my price range, seems like a decent spec though.

Mine was the Speedshield V, had it for years and its first class.....lenses 9 to 13 and very fast recovery. Buy with confidence, replacement glasses and lenses are available. Changeover light levels and speed are adjustable on the inside.
As I said I bought a cheapo Aldi one to get me out of a jam- free to anyone passing by!
You need good kit when you are starting out, inferior stuff will make you mad and destroy your confidence.

Sponsored Links
Plenty of choice there.....I really need shades 7 to 8, 9 is still on the dark side.
Time to splash the cash!

Mine was the Speedshield V, had it for years and its first class.....lenses 9 to 13 and very fast recovery. Buy with confidence, replacement glasses and lenses are available. Changeover light levels and speed are adjustable on the inside.
As I said I bought a cheapo Aldi one to get me out of a jam- free to anyone passing by!
You need good kit when you are starting out, inferior stuff will make you mad and destroy your confidence.

I like the sound of the UV filter, doesn't seem to be on the spec list for many other helmets I was looking at.

I bought a Snap-On (Speedglas) one 17 years ago, still going strong!.

For sure, loads of choices and we can't try them all!
Hopefully we can give you the odd tip as you start welding along.

seems to mention it as a unique selling point? @ 5:33 mark
It does, but it isn't unique to that or any other welding helmet.

They all have those filters, that's the primary function of a welding helmet. IR and UV are what causes serious eye damage.

As a UK site I think it will be difficult for use to recommend where to purchase - however, MIG welding will do everything you'll encounter thickness wise but for automotive stuff get familiar with TIG welding.....the results are spectacular and well worth becoming proficient at it.
Either way, we wish you all the best with your chosen career and hope it goes well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back