solar powered welding mask, is it working? Newbie question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, thought I'd have a go at welding after buying a MIG welder from a neighbour. Bought an second hand auto darkening helmet from someone else.

The helmet is a solar charging version (spargo) but there is no battery slot, similar to this solar welding mask.

Left the unit in the sun for a day, but when I change the sensitivity, delay or shade nothing looks any different when have it on... or when looking at the sun, just a green tinge.

Should I be able to tell if this is working or does it only work when welding?

Chibs

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
When you have the helmet on, look at a fluorescent light.....the auto darkening should trip.
The 9 to 13 scale is used for light welding current applications (9) to heavy arc (13).
John :)

Fluorescent light... what's this... the 80's ... hahaha :LOL:

Thanks gents, will try this out.

Sponsored Links
If this helps anyone else...

Couldn't get anything out of the mask. Neighbours live with 80's lighting, so did a bit more digging.

Found a video on U-tube, looks like there is battery in this unit, I've taken mine apart and it's the same as this, ordered a CR2430 and will report back.

thanks all.

just had a play with mine, Fluorescent trip it, and so does mains powered LED's, in fact any mains powered lights trip it. But battery powered LEDs (DC) don't trigger it ? neither my super bright led bike light or the intensely bright headlights on the car.

what's all that about ?

oh yes, and mine is a solar powered one, it has to be unused in a dark cupboard for weeks or longer before it stops working

I think these things respond to light in the UV and IR spectrums, but don’t quote me on that one!
I’m wondering if these helmets all have a battery inside charged by solar - I don’t know.
John

it can't be UV otherwise the sun would trigger them, and yet piddly little 7w flourecent triggers them.

and yes there must be a battery of sorts to hold the charge for weeks, don't think you can do tht with a capacitor

it can't be UV otherwise the sun would trigger them, and yet piddly little 7w flourecent triggers them.

and yes there must be a battery of sorts to hold the charge for weeks, don't think you can do tht with a capacitor
They apparently use 'arc sensors', I have yet to find out what they specifically sense, but I will keep looking! :)

They apparently use 'arc sensors', I have yet to find out what they specifically sense, but I will keep looking! :)
could it be its the 50hz that is fooling the sensor into thinking there is an arc ? this might explain why car LED lights and tourch LEDs and the Sun are not triggering it ? and why most household 240v bulbs, incandeccant, flurescent and LEDs all do

Last edited:
could it be its the 50hz that is fooling the sensor into thinking there is an arc ? this might explain why car LED lights and tourch LEDs and the Sun are not triggering it ? and why most household 240v bulbs, incandeccant, flurescent and LEDs all do

So far my research has only led me to one of my favourite websites: Hackaday
It seems that the particular model being hacked has an IR sensor. The microprocessor then interprets pulses/flashes of IR as an arc forming.
So theoretically, as in the video, the arc sensors in the helmet should be triggerable from the pulses of an ordinary remote control! :)

So far my research has only led me to one of my favourite websites: Hackaday
It seems that the particular model being hacked has an IR sensor. The microprocessor then interprets pulses/flashes of IR as an arc forming.
So theoretically, as in the video, the arc sensors in the helmet should be triggerable from the pulses of an ordinary remote control! :)
Just tried it with two different remotes and they both trigger it. Need to hold the remote within a few inches of the sensor thhough

Sponsored Links
Back