Auto welding masks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do the auto darkening welding masks, usually need a replacement battery to be installed? The thing is - I cannot see where one might fit.

It's a Futuris FF - X250, which I had for many years. It has a large photocell on the front, so possibly uses a rechargeable cell, or it may just be for detection.

I came to do a bit of welding today, and it didn't darken, but it briefly flashed dark after the weld. It's normally hung in my dark workshop, with limited charging opportunity, so I have left it outside for now, to see if it charges/recovers.

Sponsored Links
The batteries aren't always replaceable; can you post some pics of your helmet inside and out?

Sponsored Links
I think the solar panel is just to run it whilst you're welding, the non rechargeable button cell does the switching. So yes they do need replaced after a good few years. You'll probably need to do some soldering.

On mine I soldered in a new battery.

On a friends one more recently, I soldered in a cheap little trailing battery holder, to make the next time round easier!

Attachments

• P1080241x.jpg
    P1080241x.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 51
  • P1080243x.jpg
    P1080243x.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 56
Yours has a Lithium-Ion Battery, see specifications, bet yours is similar to this...

Nearly all modern helmets have an easily changed battery.

Always wondered about auto-dimming welding masks.
So, they fail-to-danger?
Not a risk I'd like to take (with the old peepers).

Think that is a bit like my helmet, will check later, but think the batteries are inside the black plastic section next to the dim/sensitivity 'grey' selector. Might be better to buy a whole new 'auto dimming' panel with easier to get to batteries. This is what I'm going to do.

Always wondered about auto-dimming welding masks.
So, they fail-to-danger?
Not a risk I'd like to take (with the old peepers).

Not really a risk, if it doesn't work, it stays dark and you can’t see feck all before you start welding.

Sponsored Links
Back