Speedglas welding mask

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!

I'm currently considering purchasing a new welding mask as mine has seen better days.

I have been looking at a speedglas 9002V mask. The auto darkening is a feature I really want.

I have seen lots of cheap auto darkening masks on Ebay and the like.

Does anyone have any experience of a speedglas mask, and are they really worth all the extra money?

If it is, I'd rather spend more money on the better product, but don't wan't spend it if it is unnecessary!

I'm not a pro welder, so a little out of my depth on this!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
just been and looked at my auto mask but there's no brand name on it, it was a cheap one from a welding suppliers
about £70 18 months ago, you can change by dial how dark the lens go ( 9 to 13 ) but is battery powered and I have to slip the battery
tray out or they go flat, it has a test / safety light on that drains it. I might only use it once a month if that.
I use solar power one that was cheap £90 when I go do welding repairs for a plant hire company ( there mask ) that's about 2 year old,
same dial settings, and for cheaper masks I can't fault them.
what I'm trying to say is for light use you don't have to pay that much for a mask that has a BS or EN stranded but do go to a welding supplier, as I read else where that there are speedglas copies on the bay and arc eye I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

you could ask here about masks.
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php

Speedglass are very popular with professional users.
For a hobby welder though its probably a bit over the top?
What sort of welding are you doing? There is speedglass models which arn't sensitive enough for low amp TIG, but fine for MIG and MMA. And half the price.

Personally im not all that keen on them, i use the original Esab Eyetech, had it must be about 8 or so years, used in a fabrication enviroment, so its had plenty of use!
I hear the new versions are very good aswell.

The advantage of buying popular names is the spare cover lenses headbands etc are easily available.

If you want a reasonable mask but on a budget, have a look at Parweld ones. No comparison to either of the above, but a quarter of the price.

Any more info, have a look at Marshmann's link. ;)

Parweld have an offer on their masks at the moment, and they are good. I have one as a site mask when i dont want to take the speedglas out! Just need to find a supplier in your area.
Stay away from most of the ebay stuff as they are pretty rough.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info chaps.

That forum looks interesting. Lots of reading for me!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back