Recommendation for welding mask (up to £100)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for an auto welding mask, to replace my existing Esab "Warrior" that has now died. That cost £60 +VAT in 2014 so my thinking is that for the same sort of money i should be able to get something better ("true colour" for example).

Any recommendations? It would need to have replaceable battery, and preferably able to take a "cheater" magnifying lens.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Just stretch the budget a little and consider the Stealth Digi-Tech......incredible bit of kit and has all of your requirements!
The welderswarehouse can fix you up.
John

Just stretch the budget a little and consider the Stealth Digi-Tech......
Thanks. Budget coukd poss8bly be stretched. Can that model take a magnifier? Looking around it seems like the helmets with larger viewing area can't.

That I don't know, but the welderswarehouse people will be better informed, and very approachable they are too.
I went for this one because my old helmet only went down to level 9, and welding in my dungeon as I do, things were just too dark. Number 8 was just fine for me.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Is the old helmet actually broken or does it just need a new battery?
This is a "dead" one I mended/modified for a friend:

Attachments

• P1080241x.jpg
    P1080241x.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 23
  • P1080243x.jpg
    P1080243x.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 32
I think it's goosed. Wiring in a new battery looked hopeful at first, but it still flickered and now doesn't work at all.

Is the old helmet actually broken or does it just need a new battery?
This is a "dead" one I mended/modified for a friend:
Turns out it's not dead. I had already ordered a battery holder before I decided it was a lost cause. So once the holder turned up I fitted it, for the sake of five minutes soldering. And it works. To start with the same sort of misbehaviour, for example darkening when looking near the flourescent tube but clearing when looking straight at it. Fiddling with the sensitivity got it working consistently again. Now turning sensitivity through its whole range it doesn't misbehave.

I have no idea why it didn't work with the improvised battery connections. I measured a good steady 3.3V at the pads on the PCB so it was certainly making contact.

I bought an Aldi auto mask......hopeless. Took an age to brighten and was hopelessly dark all of the time.
John

The Lidl welding mask will be on sale again from Sunday at £25. If you have the Lidl app, you'll get 10% off, so £22.50. And if it's sh!t, at least it was cheap.

The Lidl welding mask will be on sale again from Sunday at £25. If you have the Lidl app, you'll get 10% off, so £22.50. And if it's sh!t, at least it was cheap.
If it was crap you can just take it back, they're pretty good. It will end up in the bargains bin, I've seen all manor of returned rubbish in there, stuff that's clearly broken or missing parts. :rolleyes::LOL:

If anyone buys the Lidl one, let us know how you get on with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back