Mig welder buying-advice wanted.

It's been suggested to me that because I'm wanting to welded 3mm and 5mm angle & box section I'd be better with 200 amps and above if I want a good duty cycle.

Sponsored Links
Ah jeez - you're being ridiculously oversold.

First off (and with apologies to the enthusiasts here), go over to http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php and ask the question of people who understand what you're looking for and what will do.

Clarke MIGs, for what you're looking at, will do it until the cows come home. Don't worry too much about duty cycle because the absolute worst thing that happens if you abuse it is that the thermal cut-out kicks in and you go have a coffee for 10 minutes.

For 3mm steel a 130A or 150A is ample. Any Clarke 130 from MachineMart will do that. Check ebay for something maybe £75-£100 cheaper.
Don't go with gasless - always go with gas and either start with the hobby bottles or go straight to rented bottles. Beware that these will still cost you £50 deposit plus £25 for the gas.

Sealey are also excellent units but, to be honest, for the money you're talking, look at Clarkes.

Eurotorches are nice-to-have but, for a hobby welder, what ships will be fine.

And you can plug a 130 into a standard 13A socket.

Make sure the trip curve of your breaker can handle the current draw and duty cycle that you want. Figuring this out is not hard but it is tedious.

For that sort of material, an ordinary arc welder set at 90 to 100 amps continuous would be fine......just a comment, thats all.
John :)

Sponsored Links
thanks guys I appreciate your advice and will aim for a 150ish amps and take on board the makes you suggested. I did try the forum you suggested Skotl that's where someone suggested 200 amps :D But I did get a lot of good advice there also. I'm going to check machine mart and another local equivalent who sell good stuff.

No probs, Dan.

Mig welders seem like black magic until you need to strip one down and repair it (which I've just done :D) then you realise it's not as scary as it looks!

4mm is generally accepted to be 130A-150A so you'll be fine with 130/150 unit. Just steer clear of of gasless.

Now, I like to collect tools.... but if you only have a single job to do then you can probably rent a unit from HSS etc for less than £100 for the weekend, gas included...

No I collect tools to :D

I've got plenty of use for it once bought at least a decent task once a month minimum with it.

Like I say going to pop into machine mart, also another local shop to compare sets and might consider the sealey mightymig 150 at the lower end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back