Any one used that 'Smooth on' plastering tub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need to plaster/skim a small section of newly created ceiling in my bathroom. I have no plastering skills at all but want to give it ago. I spotted a large tub of 'Smooth on' in B&Q yesterday. Does anyone know if it is easy to use and what is the best way to approach it. it is onto new plaster board.i knocked down a stud wall in the bathroom to reveal about 6 foot of extra space. I have boxed most of it in as cupborads but the ceiling was not done

Sponsored Links
Joeylegend said:
need to plaster/skim a small section of newly created ceiling in my bathroom. I have no plastering skills at all but want to give it ago. I spotted a large tub of 'Smooth on' in B&Q yesterday. Does anyone know if it is easy to use and what is the best way to approach it. it is onto new plaster board.i knocked down a stud wall in the bathroom to reveal about 6 foot of extra space. I have boxed most of it in as cupborads but the ceiling was not done

Is this the same product as Polycell's Smoothover? I also have no plastering skills, but tried to use this to cover wood chip wallpaper that had been partially removed by a previous occupant. I found it required a lot of product (possibly due to the "chips", so maybe not a problem for you). I was disappointed with the overall finish. There were a number of "air bubble" type holes in the end result, which were only obvious after I had painted; and I found it difficult to get a properly smooth finish - I was left with lines where I had finished a "sweep", even though I was using their applicator. Eventually I decided I really wasn't happy with the finish, put lining paper over the new wall, and repainted!

These problems might be due to inexperience - can anyone else comment on this? It might work much better in experienced hands.

You should not plaster over woodchip it should be taken off or boarded over.
The water gets absorbed by the wood and paper and then releases it causing the bubbles.
Longterm adhesion is a problem too.
Next time get the steamer out
Pete

Sponsored Links
its not bad but youll get a better result if you use a bag of gyproc joint filler. its the stuff used to tape and joint plasterboard joints. Its easy to work with and very easy to sand down. Its only about a tenner a bag and most decorating places will sell it (not b&q etc)

easi-fill is the best product to use for a novice.you will get it from BQ .2 coats and a rub down with 120 grit will leave you proud of the job youv,e done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back