Any Reason Why I Can't Fit Filling Loop On Vented System?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a conventional vented system with Ideal Concord boiler and 3 port.

Whenever I drain down, its a nightmare to get the airlocks out. Is there any reason why I can't fit a filling loop to the lowest part of the system, and fill from bottom to top with mains pressure. It makes more sense, as it will drive the air out during filling.

Could there be problems with this?

Sponsored Links
thats no different to when we backfill the system through a draincock.
so can't see any reason why not.

surely your not draining the system that often.

i would say yes but make sure you remove the loop so it doesnt get "knocked" on accidently

Sponsored Links
I don't think it would work that well.
Certainly still not as fast a fill up as a sealed system.
My own system was a similar case so I converted it to sealed but then it didn't seem to hold pressure so it was then converted to a hybrid.

Either sealed or vented depending on the isolating valves positions.
In the end it did hold the pressure. :mrgreen:

Just out of interest how often do u drain your system in order for it to cause u enough of a problem that u need a solution

I have a conventional vented system with Ideal Concord boiler and 3 port.

Whenever I drain down, its a nightmare to get the airlocks out. Is there any reason why I can't fit a filling loop to the lowest part of the system, and fill from bottom to top with mains pressure. It makes more sense, as it will drive the air out during filling.

Could there be problems with this?

Fitted a filling loop to a system with a Potterton compact running 55 Rads and 6 Towel rails, also 2 x 300 ltr unvented cylinders, the system took ages to fill so connected filling loop, worked perfect so much quicker

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back