Filling loops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to a house the other day to deal with a pressure complaint. Whilst I was there I noted that the filling loop had been connected and explained about the risk of backflow. I also explained that the filling loop was also non-compliant with regs (if going by the book, which I do)

I disconnected it for the householder and found that not only had the DCV failed (passing back) but the control valve was also passing.

This is one of the many reasons why I hate seeing DCV's fitted on the boiler side with a single tap on the mains. The DCV should be on the mains tap side and there should be a tap on the boiler side. DCV's aren't designed to be used as a valve for filling ans then holding the pressure indefinitely (although many do).

Think this one had failed becuase the customer was filling her boiler every 2 days and got some sh*te stuck in it. The man in the "Blue Van" told her to do this because the pressure kept dropping in her newly installed system. I told her to get BG back to locate the reason for the pressure drop and to renew the filling loop setup.

Just out of interest - how many of the heating guys on here install filling loops like this?

Sponsored Links
Just out of interest - how many of the heating guys on here install filling loops like this?

I do box, all the time actually, though I do disconnect after install is complete.

Use the WRAS approved.

Sponsored Links
I understand that a lot of the Wras approved ones do allow for a DCV to be used as a means of preventing users releasing the pressure by mistake, but ithink the WRAS ones have a DCV incorporated into the tap assembly - although I may be wrong.

Technically (from a regs point of view) there should ALWAYS be a DCV on the mains side - because it is the mains side that requires preotection form backflow (and it is essentially a tap that can have a hose attached and poses a risk).

BoxBasher mistakenly said:
Reg 14 is the revocation of the previous Byelwas and doesn't actually relate to any installation...

Ignore me. That is section 14 of the WS(WF)R'99 not reg 14.

giblets said:
Glad to see you have senior moments as well BB. :LOL:

Its not a "senior moment" - it's just plain stupidity.

Go easy on me, big day tommorow.

I always put the dcv on the cold side then you can pour the fernox into the fill hose and also use this as a quick drain if owt goes wrong ;)

Problem with that Stumpy if you look at the dcv it has a directional flow arrow on it, at least mine do.

clf-gas said:
Problem with that Stumpy if you look at the dcv it has a directional flow arrow on it, at least mine do.

Yes, so you connect the upstream side to the cold mains instead of the downstream side to the boiler pipework.

Use these http://www.rwc.co.uk/Public/hcv/fillmaster.pdf

They have PTFE valve seats and actually come with blanking caps for BOTH ends. Also remember to reverse the heating side isolating valve since the pressure will be upstream from the arrow on the valve.

Normally pay just under £7.00 for this quality loop - part no. FIBV 246 208.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back