Any reason you can't use a Sonoff POW as a IOT on / off for a combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

A gentleman (or woman) helped me out here by confirming my assumptions on how a boiler works with a thermostat. This got me thinking...

So I've moved into a house that doesn't have a thermostat wired in to the boiler. I have a Voker Linea HE Combi boiler. All we do at the moment is turn the boiler from summer mode (ie no heat) to winter mode. Is there any reason I can't leave it on winter mode and wire in a Sonoff POW to complete the circuit and turn this mode on and off?

Details:

Sonoff POW

I plan to wire it in place of the thermostat, like this.

If I'm being absolutely stupid and ignorant to something I'm sorry, could you explain why this would be a stupid idea if this is the case.

Sponsored Links
no reason why you cant the thermostat connections from the boiler are just a switch

no reason why you cant the thermostat connections from the boiler are just a switch

That's pretty much my understanding. I can't see that the connection would be more than the 3500w the Sonoff POW can handle as well.

As far as I can tell the sonoff needs 240vac to work so you cant interrupt the thermostat (its not carrying 240vac) and you cant use it on the mains as it would kill the boiler ie no hot water, save up and buy a nest or hive.

Sponsored Links
As far as I can tell the sonoff needs 240vac to work so you cant interrupt the thermostat (its not carrying 240vac) and you cant use it on the mains as it would kill the boiler ie no hot water, save up and buy a nest or hive.

The site states it ranges from 90 - 240, and there are live and neutrals I can use. Am I just being really thick here (please feel free to say so).

Capture.PNG

What live and neutrals do you intend to use ?

Right, after some reading I get you. Could I not use a battery power RF switch then for Volt-Free switching?

Edit: Gentle reminder, idiot here.

Use a thermostat ! its what its designed for, completely automatic, switches off and on with temperature and they do ones that connect to internet, alexa ect ect

You're not being thick, but you're trying to be too clever for your own good - no offence meant.

Fit a thermostat or a programmable one, and you'll have better comfort levels, and cheaper fuel bills, and you'll really be proud of yourself for having done the job properly.

Sorry just looked at the wiring diagram , no you cant use this, all it does is switch N&L you need something that has a 240 supply but voltage free switching

Well it was fate, my phone sent me a notificiation today saying 33% off Hive. Clicked on it and John Lewis were doing the Hive + Install for £179 (with delivery). I'm a bit of an amazon addict so thought I'd check if they have it on offer too, low and behold Amazon are doing the Hive + Install for £159.99. At a £90 saving that's me sold. Thanks for the comments and information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back