Any recommendation for electric hedge trimmer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just promoted my Titan TTB357GHT from Screwfix into the bin. It looked good on the spec sheet and when I bought it reviews were good - not anymore.
It failed on the drive train stripping the cogs and now not engaging the blades even with thin branches. Titan is a Screwfix own brand product made in China..... maybe with good intention.

I am looking for an electric one that is able to cut a good size hedge with conifers and privet.

I would like an electric trimmer that is reliable and lasts and at the same time does not break the bank.

Sponsored Links
It seems most all the good makers have sold their names on the cheap Chinese factories, so not much point looking for a recognised name. My own well known name hedge trimmer only lasted two years before it drive cogs began slipping. For now I have bodged it by using a washer to force the cogs into tighter engagement, it has worked so far this year, without slipping.

Thanks for the reply.
I had a look at the motor and blade on mine, but am struggling to imagine where the washer could go. Can you still remember and describe how you did it or even take a picture when you are in yours next?

Thanks for the reply.
I had a look at the motor and blade on mine, but am struggling to imagine where the washer could go. Can you still remember and describe how you did it or even take a picture when you are in yours next?

I just found an put a thin washer under the driven cog (planetary) to force it into tighter engagement. I will not be going in it again, next time it goes in the bin - it will likely not be identical to yours anyway. I'm away on holiday so cannot go check, but I think it is a Qualcast. I has a 90 deg rotatable blade, to make it easier for horizontal or vertical cuts.

Sponsored Links
I am aware of Stihl and Husqvarna. In my books they are the heavy duty kit for gardening companies and professionels.

What about Bosch and MacAllister?

C0C6B9A0-EB0E-4376-9DBE-040BCA7D50EA.jpeg
You'll get what you pay for here:
Stihl
Husqvarna
Milwaukee.
John :)
Stihl gets my vote, Ive had one of these for 8 years and cuts as good as most petrol ones ive used

I agree, they are brilliant and are also the future.
I don’t rate Macallister or Bosch for these tools.
John :)p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back