Any Supplier of Decent Laminated Chipboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know I'm probably on for a flaming; but here goes ;)

Anyone have experience of sourcing the best possible 15mm white laminated chipboard \ conti-board possible from the usual suppliers?

Stuff I've sourced from Jewson and B&Q is.... well, basically only worthy of chucking on a bonfire! Am cutting with a router and straight 12.7mm bit. 1st two cuts on a new bit are perfect; after that the particles blunt the bit in no time at all and the laminate simply chips like f***! (ok, maybe not that bad, but this should be the best way of cutting conti ever!). Even if I make an initial pass to just pierce the laminate, then 2-3 other deeper cuts it chips!

Peeled a bit of laminate off, they're micron thin and as brittle as egg shell!!! Old kitchen units I've recovered from years ago and kept for templates\testing are far superior with thicker laminate that's more pliable. This current stuffs a joke.

Not tried Focus, Wickes, or other yet - but assume all's the same. Anyone know better. I'm in the Reading, Berks area.

Cheers,
Neil

Sponsored Links
these two words don't go together

"decent" and "chipboard"

what are you making?

John.

The words don't go together purely 'cos the quality of stuff that's easily available is sh1te. The principle of the stuff is sound; simply need to find someone who makes it with the laminate thicker than a micron and not so fragile - just like the old recovered cream coloured stuff I have from nuemrous kitchen's pulled out.

I'm making base units for my own fitted office - essentially shortened kitchen units.

Regards,
Neil

I've turned to Ply for my kitchen units when I have to make odd ones. I have wooden doors, so it can be stained and satin finished to blend in.

I use dowelled joints, and hang the wall ones on rails. I'm not much good at woodwork.

Sponsored Links
What you are talking about is not laminate covered chipboard its MFC - Melamine faced chipboard.

Do you really want 15mm thick as thats what contibix and cheap carcases are made from. 18mm is far better and available from all the big makers such as Egger and Kronospan. I get mine from Richard Russel who will deliver out your way, website is being updated at the moment. You could also try a branch of Edens who keep the same things.

You will find these boards have a lot more "chips" in them and less voids, they also contain a lot less c**p than contiboard. You will find the melamine will be whats wearing teh blade not the board core. With any chipboard don't expect long router life, I use a replaceable tip trimmer which works out less than a standard router bit.

Now if you do actually want laminate (formica) covered chipboard then these two companies will also do that but it costs a lot more but is about a 0.7mm layer.

Jason

i find egger board is the best and if your using it alot invest in a good quality router bit. trend sell a replacement blade bit which is 50mm long and the blades are a lot cheaper to use in the long run. also try using an electric plane to trim the edges

if your edging the board with preglued edging strip buy it from SMC (www.edging.co.uk) best on the market and they colour match all egger boards

Jason, Chippy.

Many thanks for your replies and suggestions; the Egger sheets from Richard Russel and Edens seem to be just the thing! :)

Many thanks,
Neil

Hi

Sorry to piggy back onto your topic.

Rather than using a router to cut MFC faced chipboard or MDF, would something like a Mafell or Festool plunge saw on a guide rail give a clean cut - their adverts claim that they do (splinter free, etc) and it would be a lot quicker and cleaner that using a router for straight cuts.

Thanks a lot!

Zigs

Router gives a better cut. Even better than a table saw fitted with scoring blade.

J

Found placing and rubbing down masking tape over the edges to be cut minimises chipping. After just finishing the iron on edging they actually look much better than I expected - couple of bits will need a tiny bit of worktop filler.

Still crap stuff though ;)

And can now see a couple of cut edges have black resinous stone like sh1te in amongst the wood chips - presume it's just cr4p that's swept up from large factory floors? Reckon that's what's killed all my router bits - kept finding dense\slow areas to cut!?

A fine tooth saw and finish with a belt sander, give a clean/ flat dense edge for edging strip to adhere too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back